Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tune for converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tune for converter?

So, I got my trans rebuilt and beefed up, and I installed it this week. I did put in a 2800 stall billet converter as well. After driving it a little, but not particularly hard, I wondered if I need a trans tune. Is that a common necessity, or am I just not used to hearing it revved up this high as it runs through the gears at cruising speed? I haven’t really launched it yet, but giving it some blips it hits like a ton of bricks. But just driving around town it’s revved up and sort of stays there. So I’m not sure if it it just the new nature of the beast or if it needs the trans tuned. Thanks for your help!
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 05:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon_inferno
So, I got my trans rebuilt and beefed up, and I installed it this week. I did put in a 2800 stall billet converter as well. After driving it a little, but not particularly hard, I wondered if I need a trans tune. Is that a common necessity, or am I just not used to hearing it revved up this high as it runs through the gears at cruising speed? I haven’t really launched it yet, but giving it some blips it hits like a ton of bricks. But just driving around town it’s revved up and sort of stays there. So I’m not sure if it it just the new nature of the beast or if it needs the trans tuned. Thanks for your help!
What vehicle and what transmission?
Old 02-09-2023, 05:46 AM
Teching In

Oops-
2013 Escalade, AWD. LSA build with cam, long tubes, 525 fuel pump, and all the supporting mods, 10lbs boost, 600whp
strutaeng (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

You got an engine tune I assume? Did you delete the DOD/AFM stuff? I know there's some stuff done to the transmission to keep the torque converter locked in certain gears. I believe the factory tune has the TC slipping via PWM in most gears(?), and it works somehow with the DOD/AFM (on vehicles that came equipped with that system.) I've been reading up on the 6 speeds, but don't enough about them yet...

Someone please chime in...
Old 02-09-2023, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
You got an engine tune I assume? Did you delete the DOD/AFM stuff? I know there's some stuff done to the transmission to keep the torque converter locked in certain gears. I believe the factory tune has the TC slipping via PWM in most gears(?), and it works somehow with the DOD/AFM (on vehicles that came equipped with that system.) I've been reading up on the 6 speeds, but don't enough about them yet...

Someone please chime in...
yes- engine is tuned and did the full afm delete as well. I’m just not overly familiar with the 6l80 and don’t want to set myself up for Trouble
strutaeng (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon_inferno
Yes you need a retune for torque converter.
They adjust line pressure and lock up speed , stuff like that.