Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truetrac in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:39 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Truetrac in turns?

How does your Detroit Truetrac perform on low speed turns? Mine tends to squeal the inside tire on slow turns. With the shift kit, I also have a good chirp on the inside tire if it shifts during those turns. Backing up a trailer, the inside wheel wants to skip to keep up with the outside wheel. Doesn't seem to be much differentiation happening.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low speed I don't have any squeel (that i've noticed) but under a little throttle i'll get a chirp from the inside tire at the shift.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine squeels just a little under moderate acceration in a sharp curve. A good tight clutch posi will do the same.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

damn i cant wait for mine to go in. i have to floor it around a corner to get my g80 to work
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
damn i cant wait for mine to go in. i have to floor it around a corner to get my g80 to work
Atleast yours will work around a turn!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

That's the quickest way to remove the G80. Well, parts of it at least.

Mine will squeal with any throttle on a tight 1st gear turn. I was just wondering if this is normal operation or if I should be expecting something to break. I had the Truetrac installed in late fall when the roads were starting to ice up and the tires were always cold so I didn't really notice it until this spring. Gets me a little more attention than I want too.

The guys that installed my Truetrac said they don't like a lot of torque. Gears is all these guys do. I told them that a lot of high powered truck guys use them for racing with no problems. Could be that they are just covering their butts. They said they did some logging on my truck during their test drive. The torque output got their attention.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
That's the quickest way to remove the G80. Well, parts of it at least
if it goes, it goes. screw it
Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
That's the quickest way to remove the G80. Well, parts of it at least.

Mine will squeal with any throttle on a tight 1st gear turn. I was just wondering if this is normal operation or if I should be expecting something to break. I had the Truetrac installed in late fall when the roads were starting to ice up and the tires were always cold so I didn't really notice it until this spring. Gets me a little more attention than I want too.

The guys that installed my Truetrac said they don't like a lot of torque. Gears is all these guys do. I told them that a lot of high powered truck guys use them for racing with no problems. Could be that they are just covering their butts. They said they did some logging on my truck during their test drive. The torque output got their attention.
(heavy NY attitude voice) Don't worry 'bout it. I got plenty o torque and my TT has been in for over 20K mikes. Works fine
Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

if it goes, it goes. screw it
That was intended as a tip for those who might not want to blow their G80 right away. I realize that you don't care.

The G80 will usually take the gears with it when it goes. So it's less expensive to replace it before it does let go. Unless one is looking for a gear change anyway.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

just to be sure, have you double checked your differential fluid? I've never noticed it in Matt's truck when I drove it, it's completely transparent just like my Eaton LSD... at least until you actually apply a little torque of course. Matt backs his truck in the garage, which is uphill and weaving around his work truck so it has some torque applied and I've never noticed a problem there either.

Quick Reply: Truetrac in turns?