Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Truck won't start in gear, and rolls when in park?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it start in neutral?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
Will it start in neutral?
I bet it would!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BADC10
I bet it would!
Hopefully you guys knew what I was getting at. It won't start in park and rolls when in park.

I'm not that big of an idiot. I know it won't start in gear.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Hopefully you guys knew what I was getting at. It won't start in park and rolls when in park.

I'm not that big of an idiot. I know it won't start in gear.
I couldn't pass the opportunity. Ya know how us PT members are. Seriously, I'd look into the wiring to the PNS switch. Make sure the wiring hasn't backed out of the connector. Something's not right. What would be great is scanning it with a scantool, HPT or EFILive. Then you could see what the PCM sees when you shift it. If something wierd happens, you'd see what gear it think it's in. Then you could direct attention elsewhere. The PNS switch is an inexpensive part.

Or... check this... make sure the alignment of the PNS switch is right. You may think it's in park, but the physical contacts within the PNS switch may tell otherwise.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I couldn't pass the opportunity. Ya know how us PT members are. Seriously, I'd look into the wiring to the PNS switch. Make sure the wiring hasn't backed out of the connector. Something's not right. What would be great is scanning it with a scantool, HPT or EFILive. Then you could see what the PCM sees when you shift it. If something wierd happens, you'd see what gear it think it's in. Then you could direct attention elsewhere. The PNS switch is an inexpensive part.

Or... check this... make sure the alignment of the PNS switch is right. You may think it's in park, but the physical contacts within the PNS switch may tell otherwise.
Yea I'm 99% sure that the pnss has something wrong with it. My dad said he accidentally "cracked" something picking my transmission up and putting it in his car. I just hope that would explain why the truck rolls in park. I guess I'll get to check it out on wednesday though when I finally get to see my truck agian for the first time in 2 months.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Yea I'm 99% sure that the pnss has something wrong with it. My dad said he accidentally "cracked" something picking my transmission up and putting it in his car. I just hope that would explain why the truck rolls in park. I guess I'll get to check it out on wednesday though when I finally get to see my truck agian for the first time in 2 months.
If it's rolling in park, check the linkage that holds the trans in gear. I hope he didn't roll it on the side where the PNSS is (sounds like he may have). A cracked PNSS shouldn't have anything to do with rolling in park. After all, that's a mechanical function that requires no electronics to work. Hope he didn't bend/break the gear selector shaft (have never seen that personally).
Old 10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL, this is so frustrating but relieving at the same time. I finally got to drive my truck today. Turns out with all my worries about my torque converter, transmission,etc were for nothing. The transmission is flawless, there was never a problem with it in the first place.

Here were the issues:
Rolls in park- trans linkeage needs to be adjusted because it won't go into park

Won't start in park-same reason as above, linkage is just messed up

Torque converter won't seat- turns out the yank converter was like .0001 over spec and all the bushings were brand new and needed some tranny fluid on them.

I just drove the truck around and it's amazing. I had never driven a truck will a performance converter before but the yank is extremely mild. It flashed to about 3000. It may be higher but I can't tell since I immediately lose traction around 2500 rpms.

So finally after my truck going to 3 different shops, it turns out all the installers(i had to have it installed after I cut the living **** out of my finger) were idiots

Now new plan will either be to add a small shot of nitrous(75-100) and some 4.10s and a true trac.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM

Hence, why I decided to do my own work. Having to deal with a "certified" GM tech from a local dealer rebuilding my trans "allegedly" better than before was a pain. He didn't get paid for a trans that didn't last 20 minutes.

Good to see you got er dun! I just drove mine this afternoon for the first time in about a month. Switching from a DD Accord V6 to a hybrid V8 RCSB was a load of difference. Spun the truck sideways twice during my test drive.

Next item on my list is tuning, then back to State Capital Raceway!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Hence, why I decided to do my own work. Having to deal with a "certified" GM tech from a local dealer rebuilding my trans "allegedly" better than before was a pain. He didn't get paid for a trans that didn't last 20 minutes.

Good to see you got er dun! I just drove mine this afternoon for the first time in about a month. Switching from a DD Accord V6 to a hybrid V8 RCSB was a load of difference. Spun the truck sideways twice during my test drive.

Next item on my list is tuning, then back to State Capital Raceway!
See the guy I had installing all my transmission parts did a great job. He put everything in great, cleaned everything up, he even gave me $50 back because he said "he'd feel bad charging me that much for as easy as it was."

I was in the process of installing it myself but ran into a snag when I cut my finger down to the bone. So I towed it to 3 different shops before I finally got it back home and running great.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM

Awesome! Now go get some seat time. You've earned it! A cut to the bone is what I call paying your dues!

Quick Reply: Truck won't start in gear, and rolls when in park?