Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Triple Disk Dragging at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Yes this converter is brand new. I did not install the little spring that Vigilante supplies. I talked to them and they said it was optional and I should be ok since I had the trans go kit installed.

Chevrolet all the way,

Are you talking about the valve that's under the boost valve in the same bore in the pump? I did use the upgraded boost valve from the Trans Go kit. With this being a GM Reman, you think they would have put new valves in this thing? What wears out? The valve or the bore?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Its the valve and yes. the long one thats not the boost valve blackgmc posted. they actually have a problem from the factory running too much line pressure at idle, but this is what happens. only you can barely feel it on a stock converter.

the sonnax valve is different than factory. also, i have been in several remans at my shop... they arent all everyone thinks!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tune has nothing to do with a converter locking up at idle. The valvebody doesn't even get oil to let it lockup until 2nd gear (or higher obviously). If its dragging at idle, its a converter or pump issue.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Great information! I bet with all the increased apply/friction area of a multi-disk converter this issue would be much more apparent than on a stock torque converter. Well I just ordered this valve so hopefully I'll get my hands on it in the next few days to install. I sure wish I could have installed this last month when I had the trans bolted to an engine stand! Now I'll have trans fluid dripping in my eyes as I fumble with those damn snap ring pliers!

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the converter is locking up at 50-55 MPH? This is a stock 2004 4L80E calibration, so I was expecting to see lockup closer to 40-45 MPH. As soon as I can get this valve swapped out, I can do some logging. Any mechanical issues that could contribute to this? I'm a 4L80E newbie.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I myself would install the red converter limit spring that PI gave you. The idea for this spring is that it keeps the pressures for the converter at an elevated psi over stock to help with the apply and the release of the CC. When using a multi disc this spring is a good thing and IMO its really important.

Also as mentioned the sonnax self regulating boost valve is a nice piece. It also helps because of the orings on the boost valve sleeve. The pressure regulator valve is nice because I believe it comes with an end plug that is oring'd. So with that being said if there are any bore end plug leakage issues you are addressing them.

I'm pretty sure that there are some other kind of end plug kit from sonnax that has the added orings. You could always use a pipe cutter and raise the ends of the plugs some and add a little lock tight to seal them as well. This is an old school trick that some builders will do. No for the the valve body there is a kit from sonnax with a new valve that has a teflon seal on it. This will help if you have bore wear issues in this area.

Being that this is a GM remain you would be surprised to see what they will reuse. With that being said you have to keep in mind that they are not taking into consideration what we in the after market are going to do with their transmission. They build these things for stock applications not the modified ones we deal with. Hope this helps you out some. Vince
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow67
The tune has nothing to do with a converter locking up at idle. The valvebody doesn't even get oil to let it lockup until 2nd gear (or higher obviously). If its dragging at idle, its a converter or pump issue.
its not the valve body its in the pump. tcc apply circuit is on the back side of the reg valve. when its too high line pressure there is a leak by which applies the converter.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

And yes the tune can change idle line pressure. ive done it and there is a reflash from gm for some of their cars which have this problem
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

*** Figured I'd post an update ***

Finally got the Sonnax pressure regulator line to lube valve and installed last night. Took about a week to get a hold of the valve. lol and after about 30 min of jacking with that damn little snap ring I noticed that I had re-installed the stock pressure regulator valve. Doh!!! I had them both sitting together in the bottom of the trans pan and picked up the wrong one. That's what I get for working at night.

Anyways got the correct valve installed last night and drove the truck around for about an hour today and this issue seems to have 100% gone away. I'm thrilled this was such an easy fix. The Sonnax valve has a little orifice that allows more flow into the converter feed circuit keeping the converter unlocked.

Chevrolet all the way and others thank you for the valuable information here! Much appreciated!!!!

Now the only think left to do is to figure out why converter is locking up at 50+ MPH on the stock trans calibration. The joys of modding a truck.....

Last edited by black346; 11-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you got it fixed up! is the speedo of or anything from a tire size or gear change?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea what percent throttle too?

mine locks up at 44mph.. anything over 24% throttle and it wont lock up.

Quick Reply: Triple Disk Dragging at idle