Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfercase input shaft swap write-up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transfer Case input shaft swap how-to

This is a write-up that z7199 and I made. Feel free to ask any questions about this. Please remember Safety first!

This write-up starts assuming the trans and t-case are out of the truck.
Step one separate the Transmission from the transfer case.
Name:  c01419c7.jpg
Views: 6459
Size:  46.0 KB

(optional step2)
Clean the transfer case you don’t need to but if you don’t want crap getting in there then do it.
Then remove the black bolts with the aluminum washer from around the transfer case that holds the two halves together.
Next remove the black rubber oval shaped hole plug, inside you will see a snap ring.
Name:  ee5c08c4.jpg
Views: 4487
Size:  31.8 KB
There are two speed sensors, (here is a pick of ones location and snap ring mentioned above) which should be removed so they don't get broken.
Name:  d9169810.jpg
Views: 4464
Size:  70.0 KB
After that, stand the Transfer case on end so that the small end (or where the REAR drive shaft goes in, is pointing towards the sky). (I used blocks of wood to help it balance)
Name:  5b746cd5.jpg
Views: 4462
Size:  42.3 KB
Insert your snap ring pliers in the hole where the snap ring is and open the snap ring up as far as you can. (the snap ring will NOT come out just open it)
While you are doing this there are two little slots on each side of the transfer case that will fit a screwdriver, while holding the snap ring open put a screw driver in and pry the case apart while hitting the upper (or tail section) with a rubber hammer. (DO NOT Pry very hard because the case is aluminum)
Now that the cases have come apart a little bit you can see inside the case note where the oil pump pickup tube is (it slides in a little grove in the case) take the chain off the bottom gear (or front half of the case) the chain will go with the tail section set this half aside. Also on a side note the chain will be lose and has A LOT of play in it. Note the position of the oil pump flanges and pick-up tube.
Name:  b3f32f8e.jpg
Views: 5077
Size:  59.6 KB
Now you will need to remove the Two 12mm Allen Head screws that are on either side of the case. After you do that the (fork) that is in there will pull right out.
Name:  43e63d2d.jpg
Views: 4482
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  9befbedf.jpg
Views: 4411
Size:  36.5 KB
There is a shaft that is to the side of the gear we are trying to get to pull it out and remove the arm that it goes through.
Name:  426f3e7c.jpg
Views: 4456
Size:  60.6 KB
Now that you have all that removed flip the case over so that you are looking at the input shaft (the part that goes on the Transmission) You are going to remove the seal that is their.
After you pull that seal out you will see yet another snap ring, that needs to be removed also. (when you do this, the whole assembly will fall out)
Name:  881b6929.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  55.8 KB
Now that the whole assembly is out remove the next snap ring that holds the input shaft in the gear assembly
Name:  2f4ca7d0.jpg
Views: 4457
Size:  59.0 KB
Pull out the input shaft.
Verify the new input shaft has a bushing installed on the planetary side.
Name:  cf4d08ab.jpg
Views: 4438
Size:  60.8 KB
Then reassemble in reverse order.
Be sure the transfer case oil pump clip is secure, and the pump flanges line up.
Name:  22626231.jpg
Views: 4934
Size:  54.7 KB
Also note the notch to hold the oil pump pickup tube. Don't forget to check and clean the pick-up screen.
Name:  301d358d.jpg
Views: 4650
Size:  54.8 KB
I used flange sealant rather than RTV. for the t-case halves.
There will be more info posted later, and PLEASE post up any advice that would aid in this write-up.

Last edited by Yelo; 07-05-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy bejesus that's a great write up!!!! Great JOB!!! Many in the future will thank you guys, that's for sure.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:39 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Holy bejesus that's a great write up!!!! Great JOB!!! Many in the future will thank you guys, that's for sure.

Thank, Do you see anything there that I left out?
I know I did'nt talk about the clutch pack and such but that will come.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Wilde. It's definitely a great write-up! I don't know that there's much you could add . . . although the case body on mine is Magnesium, not Aluminum.

It's going to save me some $$ for sure . . . Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Be sure the transfer case oil pump clip is secure . . .

This is REALLY important! If this spring clip is not there, you will end up having to replace the back case half, after the tabs on the oil pump wear through it! I know, I'm having to do just that because the clip broke in my transfer case. The dealership even lists the clip as a retainer/wear protector. (It's part # 12470559 if anyone ever needs it).
Old 07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is GREAT, I'm going to sticky this one and possibly start a Write-Up thread for additional topics
Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wilde glad to see you got our stuff up here I hope this will help alot of people and I think ecthelion is right it is Magnesium not Aluminum like I said either way that cast stuff will crack pretty easy!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to add 5 freakin hands would be helpful. Im in the middle of this crap and I dont have a 12mm allen wrench and my snap ring pliers suck, I got the case apart but thats where I get to stop till tomorrow when I get some more tools.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ah 1slow its not that bad just takes some time and patience!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still fighting that damn snap ring even with my new craftsman snap ring pliers, had to come in and refuel with some more patience

Quick Reply: Transfercase input shaft swap write-up.