Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans temp sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp sensor location

Where is the factory trans temp sensor on the 4l60e's? Just curious to see how its oriented in relation to the trans cooler and how well it monitors temps.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is somewheres in the valve body.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Teching In

It is part of the transmission pressure sensor bolted to the transmission valve body.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

in regards to your question on how well it monitors temps... well i had a sensor installed on the feed line to the cooler, and MAN my temps would rise really quick, especially with my converter... for example, at the track my temps would start out at 120* at the end of the run they would be 170*... During normal DD the temps would increase gradually when the TC was unlocked. Now i got rid of that gauge and got a aeroforce scan gauge... it uses the internal tranny temp gauge... that gauge does not increase the temps like my old gauge... The same run the temps would only raise about 10-15*.... in DD they creep up real slow... but if i am beating on it ALOT it i will finally get up to 170*

IMO if you really want to keep track of tranny temps, install the sensor in the feed line to the rad/cooler. If you just want that feel good type of thing going on, then just use the factory temp sensor....

that is just my experience...
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

It's in the drivers side above the shift linkage. Do a search. Most will say it doesn't matter where you put it it reads the same
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
...IMO if you really want to keep track of tranny temps, install the sensor in the feed line to the rad/cooler.
My understanding is that will give you the temp of your fluid from the converter. Not necessarily a true indicator of temp as this is a spike reading.

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
It's in the drivers side above the shift linkage.
That would be the pressure port
Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
Most will say it doesn't matter where you put it it reads the same
He only stated about the stock location, not where to place an aftermarket sensor.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

Well kiss my *** then! Misread the question, I've been getting so many pm's on test ports I've got em on the brain
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
in regards to your question on how well it monitors temps... well i had a sensor installed on the feed line to the cooler, and MAN my temps would rise really quick, especially with my converter... for example, at the track my temps would start out at 120* at the end of the run they would be 170*... During normal DD the temps would increase gradually when the TC was unlocked. Now i got rid of that gauge and got a aeroforce scan gauge... it uses the internal tranny temp gauge... that gauge does not increase the temps like my old gauge... The same run the temps would only raise about 10-15*.... in DD they creep up real slow... but if i am beating on it ALOT it i will finally get up to 170*

IMO if you really want to keep track of tranny temps, install the sensor in the feed line to the rad/cooler. If you just want that feel good type of thing going on, then just use the factory temp sensor....

that is just my experience...
Wow thanks for the info Corey. Thats exactly what I was wondering, how well the stock gauge monitors temps in the trans. Seems for my set up the stock gauge is more than adequate but I was just curious as to how accurate it was.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
Wow thanks for the info Corey. Thats exactly what I was wondering, how well the stock gauge monitors temps in the trans. Seems for my set up the stock gauge is more than adequate but I was just curious as to how accurate it was.

Thanks!
yep it was an interesting test. From my understanding that fluid that is in the feed line is the temp the pump or the TC is seeing. the flow goes from the pump to TC then cooler or the TC to pump then cooler... Ya the stock sensors location combined with the computer i sure is more of a general average, never the less still accurate it just does not pick up on the quick changes...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

for some reason my trans temp on my dash cluster reads about 5-10* less than what my aeroforce shows. only thing i can come up with is the cluster when i bought it wasnt calibrated perfect..? its kinda weird because i would always tell my self to add 10* when i only had the dash gauge because i knew the location of the sensor and it gets a little hotter from the pump or TC than it shows from what ive read..

Quick Reply: Trans temp sensor location