Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Tranmission torque ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
As I said, those are steady state torques only. They are vehicle weight agnostic.
So the ratings are otherwise useless in the real world?

These sound like questions from someone who wouldn't believe the answers regardless of their merit lol.
Just trying to understand the rating process and what validity the numbers from GM have. Sounds like you've admitted they are a joke, which is what we all said

Not my first rodeo. But you better believe when I buy racing 4L80e's rated to 1500hp and up, I baby the **** out of it during the shifts. Transmissions are meant to change the ratio of the input to output speed. They are NOT meant to dissipate all of the energy from inertial torque and unmanaged engine torque to bring the ratio down during a shift. This is also precisely why people find it so easy to roast CTC transmissions like the 6L80e despite the 650ftlb rating. Poorly managed shifts will destroy anything in a hurry.
A horsepower rating is pretty worthless when talking about torque and torque coupling, but its an easy way to put a bigger number on paper and sell more transmissions
Old 02-09-2022, 09:40 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

It means you can't just be a gorilla with the shifts. But what that REALLY means is if you want to shift the way you want and have a 150k mile warranty, you need a transmission that weighs as much as the vehicle. Pick your poison. GM isn't blowing smoke up anyone's *** with the ratings. They simply presume that you know how to manage the torque when it needs to be managed. If you're one of those "0 torque management" guys, none of those transmissions are for you. But there's likely one in some mining dump truck that would fit the bill just perfectly...
Old 02-09-2022, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Most big trucks that are residents to mines are electric, so that's out

Nice dig, but you know as well as anyone that other transmissions; and dare I say better transmissions are out there and exist in OE applications

Thanks for talking me through the rating process you know so well and what "merits" I don't and won't understand tho! great chat
Old 02-09-2022, 11:07 AM
Mod with training wheels

Not sure what to tell ya if you think GM describes all of the characteristics of an entire transmission with a single number. Little more complicated than that.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Seems to be exactly what they did tho, que no?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Hmmm. Interesting comments. Didn't know I was opening up a can of worms but still interesting.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:52 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Looks about right to me
Old 02-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Hmmm. Interesting comments. Didn't know I was opening up a can of worms but still interesting.
I didn't know it was a can of worms either I also didn't know torque management was considered a myth, given that every GM vehicle for the past decade has a transmission torque request broadcast on CAN that anyone with a half decent scan tool can monitor in real time. It's really no secret that the transmission needs torque reduced below those advertised maximum values to shift without causing excess wear. Playing dumb and thinking that listed torque value is the only number that you need to pay attention to isn't going to earn anybody pity from GM...it's just going to cost more money.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Depends on the weight of the vehicle, again. As has been said 200x already

Not only that, they paired the 60/65 with engines in OE combos that were well known to hurt the trans. LQ9 in an Escalade XL with a 65? bahahaha. joke

I love GM, but you can't honestly tell me with a straight face that they haven't made their questionable calls in the past

I wish more trans swap options existed like LS to 5r110w, or LS to Allison 1000. Or LS to that Aisin 6spd. There are a lot of fantastic transmissions out there that will live behind the hottest LS for a long happy life, but we don't have access to them. Poo
I've owned 3 now that made it past 250k miles on the stock 65e
if you aren't an idiot they last a long time
if you ARE an idiot...they usually make it past warranty and not much further

That was the perfect trans choice for the vehicle IMO
the 60e is compact, has good ratios for a daily driver, especially something heavy, it is electronically simple, they are relatively cheap compared to other units, and when they DO go bad, it is more often than not soft parts (clutches/bands) rather than hard parts.

smokeshow is dead on with them being "steady state" numbers
You can put out 500+ ft lbs steady state with a breaker bar...spin that bar and try to grab it and stop it, you'll have a bad time

everything is relative.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I have over 200k on a 60e as well. With lots of abuse, lots of procharged miles and many miles in 1st in 4lo. I still think they are ****. Compact means crap when the bigger trans obviously fit the same tunnel. I have towed ~7500 across the country, 14hrs each way and obviously made it home. But one success story doesn't mean the 60/65 is a good trans

Not really sure what bandwagon you guys think I am riding, or why @smokeshow keeps talking about tqmgt like I am the tqmgt **** and scream "DELETE ALL TORQUE MANAGEMENT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY"

I simply asked about the testing procedure, but for a bunch of "I know everything" attitudes you 2 have provided, there has been 0 testing procedure provided- which is what I specifically asked about

I didnt ask to shift at 650ftlbs. I didnt mention torque management. I didnt even ask about converter torque multiplication, I just asked about the test procedure that apparently is soooooooooo well known that I am idiot for not knowing it and wouldnt understand it anyway

Did I about get that correct?

In closing, you both have admitted the ratings mean jack ****, so here we are. We all agree on that I guess

Quick Reply: Tranmission torque ratings