PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Torque converter shudder (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/torque-converter-shudder-473230/)

smokeshow 12-02-2010 09:36 PM

Torque converter shudder

Been trying to track down the cause of some knock retard...I've been through all the common causes, lean spikes, too much timing, cheap gas, etc. My thoughts now is it might be shudder from the converter. The KR only happens right before a shift. Sometime it only pulls .5°, sometimes over 4°. Anybody else experienced/fixed a problem like this?

MikeGyver 12-02-2010 09:54 PM

Post a log or two.

smokeshow 12-02-2010 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at frames 1490 and 4870.

Atomic 12-03-2010 12:25 AM

Hmm, thats interesing. Log torque converter slip to see what its doing. Are you locking the converter at high throttle like that?

00Silv4.8 12-03-2010 08:44 AM

Im gonna go out on a limb and maybe make an assumption like you've got pre-stages of whats up with my shit box 4L60. However I donno what exactly has caused my problems other than the Trans guy at the GM dealership up the way from my work says it needs a trans.

mhotrodscooter 12-03-2010 08:53 AM

My old 91 had a torque converter shudder. Right before it would lock up the whole truck would shake. Almost like having a bent wheel or something. I put a additive from o'reilly's & it went away.

smokeshow 12-03-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 4588978)
Hmm, thats interesing. Log torque converter slip to see what its doing. Are you locking the converter at high throttle like that?

No, converter lockup at WOT is disabled. Weird thing is the TCC dropdown menu on the PIDs list doesn't come up on my netbook where I do my scans...but it comes up no problem on my main PC where I look at the files.

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8 (Post 4589060)
Im gonna go out on a limb and maybe make an assumption like you've got pre-stages of whats up with my shit box 4L60. However I donno what exactly has caused my problems other than the Trans guy at the GM dealership up the way from my work says it needs a trans.

I'm gonna assume thats not the reason cause its a brand new transmission. Its only got maybe 700 miles on it since the complete teardown/rebuild, and 500 of them were very easy break in miles cause of the new gears in the rear end.

Atomic 12-03-2010 10:33 AM

Delete the os file in the scanner folder, that will make it rescan for all possible parameters. Thats what HPT told me to do when the LTIT wasnt showing up.

smokeshow 12-06-2010 05:38 PM

Finally managed to get the TCC slip PID in there. Actually, I didn't do a thing, it just sort of showed up in my PID list... Anyway I made a log, and TCC slip is always at 80%, no matter what I'm doing. Idle, WOT, its all the same. So I am officially confused.

Atomic 12-06-2010 06:44 PM

Log the rpm not the percent.