Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

T56 into 2500LD w/4L80e

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But will it bolt to an autotrac t-case ???
Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh didnt think about that...

i forgot that you were 4wd... i doubt that there are any 4wd t56s out there only way would be to have a shop make one maybe? or convert to 2wd which you probably dont want to do

you could probably call FLT and ask if there is a way to adapt it to the tcase
Old 07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity why do you want to ditch the automatic for a manual? If you want manual shift capabilities, install a manual valve body on the 4L80e.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Need More N2O Mod

there has been a few people talk about this. the t56 is a great tranny in a 3,500lb car. the weight of the truck is whats going to kill it, finding a clutch that will last will be the thing. TurboBerserker had thought about doing this set up but was shot down quick.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

I've kinda given up on this idea....especially since I'm looking at going FI soon. I DO wonder if there is anything out there for the ZF tranny that's in the HD's....I'd consider that tranny if it's worth considering in a performance application (do the 8.1 and the LSx motors share a bellhousing pattern ??...I assume so as the 4L80e is also available in those trucks)
Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mwalls54
there has been a few people talk about this. the t56 is a great tranny in a 3,500lb car. the weight of the truck is whats going to kill it, finding a clutch that will last will be the thing. TurboBerserker had thought about doing this set up but was shot down quick.
I beg to differ. There are quite a few of us that drive T56's everyday in our trucks. There are clutches out there that last, and the hard parts have been around for awhile. The T56 is used in the RC SRT-10 which weighs about as much as mine truck. They were also used in heavy *** SSR's too.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

The gen 3 engines have the same belhousing bolt pattern as the 1955 265ci sbc and every other BBC ever made. So, yes the belhousing bolt pattern is the same. I feel the 4wd conversion may be possible using an aftermarket remote-mount xfercase. It would be a big job.
I agree with Vanilla, the T56 is a stout transmission.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

When I researched them, I found that 600 ft/lbs was the advertized limit. Chuck, however, said he could build me one to support the power, but that the clutch would be the problem if I wanted to drive it on the street.

I spoke to several custom T56 / TKO builders before I found Chuck and still was set on keeping the AWD. Every single one of them said "No towing" and "No AWD/4WD".

You could always do the remote mount / jack shaft idea like a monster truck, but I'm not sure why all the builders said no 4WD. I can understand the no towing bit.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

This was taken off a SyTy forum regarding AWD and the T56. I've mentioned in a few threads that Mark Steilow did it when he built the Quadra duece and it can be done....well here it is, directly from the mouth of babes.

"When I first built the Quadra Deuce it used a Borg Warner transfer case out of a Typhoon and a 6 speed out of a F-body.

The out put shaft on the trans mates to the input of the T-56 no problem there. The adapter / extension housing on the tail of the trans was off an aftermarket Mustang conversion tail housing extension with a 1 1/2" chunk of 6061-T6 aluminum welded to it. I had to use the Mustang tail housing to move the shifter forward to clear the adaptor. Once the billet aluminum was welded to the tail housing extension we machined it to match up the to transfer case. But we clocked to 10 degrees up to get more ground clearance.

A note of caution. The Borg Warner engineers that I talked with claimed that the parts could only handle 500 hp in a vehicle that weighed no more the 2800 lbs. So the QD made 500 hp and weighed 2600 lbs. We never fail any parts in the drive train. It went 0-60 in 3.2 seconds as tested by Car and Driver on BFG radials.

I have the blue prints and drawings if some one really wanted to do it again. But there are better parts available now that will handle more power so unless you are building a light car I would go another way."

Stielow

It's important to note that the Quadraduece was built in the mid-late 90's I believe and T56 parts have come along way. But I think it's still odd that he cautions the use of it with AWD. It's probably due to the output shaft. IMO it's all speculation at this point though, because no one has put it in a heavy vehicle with AWD and broken parts. In my experiences, it's easy to make parts bigger and stronger not lighter.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Thats some damn good info there.

Yelo, I didn't mean to dissuade you from what you wanted to do. Just kinda wanted to get the ideas flowing and the posts happening.

Quick Reply: T56 into 2500LD w/4L80e