Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Somebody school me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Can you give more details on this??? How do I tell if I have a triple lip seal?? Is it because of the (1)pinion seal,(2)the mysterious seal and the (3) "yoke seal???? Sorry for being so stupid on this!!!!!!

James

OK, if the seal you removed originally is diffrent than what you are puttin in, you probably do... see if the seal will fit snugly around the yolk... if it doesnt you can take it to the parts store and see if you can get a seal to fit a) inside the rear end housing, and b) around the yolk snuggly... or you may have to get a new yolk kit, and it comes with a new seal...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sroach20
you have a pinion nut, yoke, seal, crush sleave, pinion bearing and race, and the pinion gear. there is only one seal.

I've never seen this other elusive seal?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
yup its a dumb question?? or yup you put it in right??

sorry JFWY
Yup, I installed it right.

James
Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sroach20
you have a pinion nut, yoke, seal, crush sleave, pinion bearing and race, and the pinion gear. there is only one seal.
Ok, yes you have the above stated in that oreder!!! But on the back of the "yoke", there is another seal that is pressed onto the BACKSIDE of the yoke.......I'm saying that there were two of these between the yoke itself and the pinion seal that you tap into the housing. So to put it in the order of events that you just did, my rearend events are as follows:pinion nut, yoke, two yoke seals(that are pressed onto the yoke itself), pinion seal, crush sleave, pinion bearing & race then the pinion gear. I know that there is only one pinion seal that you tap into the housing but I'm talkinig about another seal that was fell out when I took the yoke off. I wish I had pics......

James
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colby 04
to my knowledge...you only have a seal that presses into the rear end housing
Your right.

James
Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Your right.

James

Smart ***

I meant that you only have one seal for the front of the housing, and that one seal is pressed into the housing. This is how it was on my 2004 and my '81...and I've never heard any different - good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Colby 04
Smart ***

I meant that you only have one seal for the front of the housing, and that one seal is pressed into the housing. This is how it was on my 2004 and my '81...and I've never heard any different - good luck.
I know!!!!!!!! PM sent!!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you get some pic cause i have seen a few different seals and yokes thier is a yoke that has a seal on it and their is a yoke with out a seal on it
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by litreddevil
can you get some pic cause i have seen a few different seals and yokes thier is a yoke that has a seal on it and their is a yoke with out a seal on it
No. I don't have a digital camera !!! The yoke with the seal attatched to it, just picture another one in front of it. Then slide the yoke on the shaft with both seals back to back. This is what I have. I didn't put two back in and now the POS leaks!!! It think that when the factory assembled the rearend, two accidently got installed. Then the factory set lash with two seals installed. Does this sound logical??

James
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

So did you fix the leak

Quick Reply: Somebody school me!!!!