Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

So who is still making healthy power and 4l60

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
What's in the works?

408 and a whole lot of dope she's back in the break in stages now

Originally Posted by Vince B
In my experience in building these units it seems that the 3-4 clutch is the main issue I saw in my built units. There is a new drum in the works from sonnax that has not been released yet. Pretty sure the idea behind this product is to address the 3-4 clutch issues. Like anything else I think they are working the bugs out of it at this point. Don't know. I think its funny when some guys say they blew up their unit when in reality it was a clutch or band failure. IMO when its blown up a hard part is broke like an output shaft or a planet. In a properly built unit these failures should not exist. Just my 2 cents.
buming this thread for more info Vince!! anything new on this? if it keeps me from going th400 ill do the 60e again!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. When would you expect sonnax to release these?
Originally Posted by skeet
buming this thread for more info Vince!! anything new on this? if it keeps me from going th400 ill do the 60e again!
Funny you should ask. I have been talking with one of the guys over at sonnax this week about a TBSS project I'm working on. He had mentioned the drum in conversation and I was told that he should have some more info soon. Like anything else it takes time to put this kind of stuff together. When I know more I'll make sure to update the thread. Vince
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. Eagerly awaiting the scoop
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been waiting on a thread like this to help me make a decision on my 60e, 149,000 on it, 90k of those driven by a Grandpa and the 3rd filter/fluid change was a month ago, no metal in pan.
I'm wanting a stall, cooler & shift kit but was worried it might crap on me soon after. I'll be lucky to get 400 at the crank when I'm done too... probably should just go for it instead of waiting for it to take a crap, I don't even drive that hard..
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KC_kid
I've been waiting on a thread like this to help me make a decision on my 60e, 149,000 on it, 90k of those driven by a Grandpa and the 3rd filter/fluid change was a month ago, no metal in pan.
I'm wanting a stall, cooler & shift kit but was worried it might crap on me soon after. I'll be lucky to get 400 at the crank when I'm done too... probably should just go for it instead of waiting for it to take a crap, I don't even drive that hard..
Put on a big trans cooler (many go with the 40,000 gvw TruCool, about $120) and a Corvette servo ($16). If your trans goes out, you already have the trans cooler in place and can run it with the new one, maybe flush it out first, and the Corvette servo only costs $16 and is an easy install, aside from the frustrating snap ring. That should help your trans last a bit longer. And make sure the snap ring is FULLY seated.

EDIT: Just read your sig, already have the Corvette servo so never mind.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running my stock 4L60 (except for TransGo HD 2 kist and Vett servo and tuning) for over 85,000 miles of boosted (12psi) fun and many hard 4x4 launches and its still holding up fine.
Torque Management is the key.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
Torque Management is the key.

Still have 70% of TM left in and it's still zipping along (knock on wood) with probably 450/500 to the rear in a 3 ton SUV.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

My 02 ex cab half ton was a 60e setup and it lasted

It was just the TransGo HD2 shift kit, "full race" drilled plate, no washers, pistons, servo, bigger tranny pan, and the stock cooler.

The 1-2 would spin at WOT, and the 2-3 would chirp.

I never did any left or right hand burn outs, or massive doughnuts, but I did make WOT stright line runs with it
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tootall
My 02 ex cab half ton was a 60e setup and it lasted

It was just the TransGo HD2 shift kit, "full race" drilled plate, no washers, pistons, servo, bigger tranny pan, and the stock cooler.

The 1-2 would spin at WOT, and the 2-3 would chirp.

I never did any left or right hand burn outs, or massive doughnuts, but I did make WOT stright line runs with it
I seem to remember a video of a smokey rolling burnout after a left hand turn
Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I seem to remember a video of a smokey rolling burnout after a left hand turn
ok . . ok . . ok . . .

I did two left hand WHITE HOT SMOKEY burn outs after I had the exhaust done for vids.

Other than that, that was it.

Quick Reply: So who is still making healthy power and 4l60