Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** In high school I took a torch heat the springs put some weight on it like a fat girl and it will lower a bit. but leaf springs might not be as strong any more. but its a free bee.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Any chance of seeing an updated pic?
Ye gods! Somebody wants a pic of my truck?

Rained most of the weekend - it's "rather" dirty at the moment but I'll see what I can do. Was kinda waiting until I got finished color matching the front emblem - I just put in a black chrome speed grill.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Man, your truck is what got me thinking about this in the first place!!! Nice looking ride! How do you like the ride compared to being stock height? Are you running stock Z71 shocks?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away all weekend...thanks for the compliment!!!

The ride quality is a little harsh with the 20's on, but not as bad in the winter when I run the 16's. It definitely corners much better than stock, just hits alot harder on uneven pavement/pothole type conditions. On a smooth road, the ride is awesome. I'm using stock length shocks, but they're Bilsteins which I had installed a few years ago prior to lowering the truck. I'm sure that with some shocks that were intended for a lowered truck, the ride would improve quite a bit. Almost forgot...I have rubber bump stops up front as opposed to the hard red Z71 ones the truck came with. I trimmed them so that they're just touching the control arms.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That uncranking the bars up front and yanking the blocks in my rear souns just right. Say- dumb question for y'all- what is the necessity of a spindle......
Oh yeah- what can I expect when I take the rear spring pak apart. Is there that proverbial bolt up the center of the spring.............
Thanks

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 06-25-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Spindles should net you another two inches in the front. There are other ways of doing it, but I think the consensus is that this will give you the best ride.

For the rear, you've got a locator pin on the springs and the block so all you have to do is take the ubolts off, drop the axle enough to slide the block out, and jack 'er back up. Really easy.

Ain't gonna have pics tonite - not only is raining here (finally!), but the batteries were dead in the camera too. Charging 'em up for tomorrow...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away all weekend...thanks for the compliment!!!

The ride quality is a little harsh with the 20's on, but not as bad in the winter when I run the 16's. It definitely corners much better than stock, just hits alot harder on uneven pavement/pothole type conditions. On a smooth road, the ride is awesome. I'm using stock length shocks, but they're Bilsteins which I had installed a few years ago prior to lowering the truck. I'm sure that with some shocks that were intended for a lowered truck, the ride would improve quite a bit. Almost forgot...I have rubber bump stops up front as opposed to the hard red Z71 ones the truck came with. I trimmed them so that they're just touching the control arms.
Thanks for the info, that helps out alot!!! I wonder if a set of 2wd shocks would work well with just the spacer removed and the tb cranked down? Where did you get the rubber bump stops?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jknox
Spindles should net you another two inches in the front. There are other ways of doing it, but I think the consensus is that this will give you the best ride.

For the rear, you've got a locator pin on the springs and the block so all you have to do is take the ubolts off, drop the axle enough to slide the block out, and jack 'er back up. Really easy.

Ain't gonna have pics tonite - not only is raining here (finally!), but the batteries were dead in the camera too. Charging 'em up for tomorrow...
Ok cool. Thanks for taking the time to get some pics.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the rubber bumpstops from GMPartsDirect.com....I used an 03 Silvy SS as the vehicle in the drop down menu if I remember correctly. I've thought about 2wd shocks also, but haven't been able to find a straight answer if they'll fit or not...I've also considered Silvy SS shocks if they'd fit??
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm using stock z71 shocks. front ss bump rubber part # is 15161761, $15 each. i never touched the rears.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

GMpartsdirect the 2wd ubolts are 9 a piece. Just got them but haven't put them on yet. I am also going with the lowering keys. I will see how I like the stance at that point and go from there.

Quick Reply: So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?