Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shimming new converter....need opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimming new converter....need opinions.....

I have my trans out and was check fitting everything with the new Circle D converter, and I am trying to decide on what shims I should use. Leaving any space there makes me REALLY nervous....I know that it's supposed to have some....I'm just curious about peoples experiences and opinions on which shim I should use. I was thinking about using the THICK shims to make the gap LESS than 1/8th......what do you guys think?

Stock bolts with no shims

Name:  noshimsstockbolts.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  78.9 KB

Stock bolts with small shims

Name:  smallshimsstockbolts.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  89.1 KB

Stock bolts with THICK shims......this is what looks correct to me

Name:  bigshimsstockbolts.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  88.2 KB

One of the size of the garage I am swapping it in......man....next time I transfer.....TWO CAR garage! HA HA!

Name:  truckingarage.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  98.6 KB

One of the truck apart.....took the wheel off and the bracing because that is where we slipped the bell housing through....jack stands weren't very tall so we had to slip the trans under the truck on the creeper and then pick it up onto the trans jack.........man.......next purchase.....taller jack stands....

Name:  truckapartgarage.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  103.8 KB

Trans under the truck on the creeper....

Name:  transslidunder.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  103.2 KB

One of the full truck....

Name:  fulltruckshot.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  178.8 KB
Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

When I installed my yank 3600 I was told that the converter should have no more then 3/16 from the flex plate to converter pads best way to figure it out was use a drill bit
Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Btw this is with the shims installed sorry forgot to add that
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of confused by the pics. Are you putting the shims on the engine side of the flexplate and them bottoming out the OE converter bolt to get the pic?

Chris
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There shouldn't be ANY gap left there, putting shims there just adjusts the depth of the converter in the pump.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Kind of confused by the pics. Are you putting the shims on the engine side of the flexplate and them bottoming out the OE converter bolt to get the pic?

Chris
Same here...
the bolts bottoming out??
Old 08-17-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Chris
yes.....that is what I did....I just realized how retarded that is.....I looked around at some other threads but the pics were all pulled it seemed. No more working on the truck after a 16 hour day........HA HA!

Thanks Chris.......your one sentence made me realize what I was doing wrong along with silver-mod-o.......I was beat to crap from a day at work before I could get under the truck so I was just taking a few to see what all of the talk was about.....thank you guys for clearing that up......stupid...I know.....HA HA!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, there is no stupid question. Good that you asked, who knows what might of happened. You basically want about 1/8 pull back on the converter to the flexplate once the trans is bolted up. If it is more than that, add the shims we sent to achieve the 1/8 clearance. Good luck and let us know if you need more help....

Chris
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. glad you got it figured out!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Remember, there is no stupid question. Good that you asked, who knows what might of happened. You basically want about 1/8 pull back on the converter to the flexplate once the trans is bolted up. If it is more than that, add the shims we sent to achieve the 1/8 clearance. Good luck and let us know if you need more help....

Chris
Thanks Cris, I appreciate the help. I think the "pull back" is what got me when I was tired and didn't have the brain power to do the math on what everyone means by that Thank you for all of the help over the phone too. I know that I called the shop and pulled you away from something to talk about what I wanted to get, but what sold me completely on your company was the Customer service from you and the nice lady who answered the phone.

I don't know if you remember me but I am Moylan with the 2C. We talked about 224-228 cams and I'm in the military.

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Cool. glad you got it figured out!!!
I just kept looking at it laying on the creeper thinking "that gap just makes me seriously uncomfortable...I couldn't IMAGINE that gap on some of these guys trucks at 7,000RPM's" Thanks for the help man! Hopefully I will get this thing into the truck today-ish. I have a command picnic, and then I have watch 2330 to 0800 tonight so I MIGHT have to sleep on the creeper for a bit....LOL. Going to head out to Pomona to watch some drag racing on Sunday so it might inspire me to get it done when I get home from the 200 mile drive....HA HA!

Last edited by JeRM82; 08-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Shimming new converter....need opinions.....