Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rough ride need to fix!! Z71

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride need to fix!! Z71

i put ford keys on my truck, and pro comp es9000 shocks (4). My front sits about an 1"- 1.5" higher than the rear. My problem is the truck is springy and is squirrly. Anyone else have this problem? On the front, there are 2 bumpstops, one limiting how far the tire goes in the fender and the other that limits how far it can extend. Could the bump stop that limits how far it extends affect my ride? thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what i have done to my truck. If you crank the t-bars or add ford key then the ride will suck. I also had procomp shocks before and they didnt ride the best.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:58 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

? Why is the front higher than the rear ? Cranking the torsions / Keys is the same thing. Did you get an alignment after you made those adjustments?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Launching!

The suspension is designed to run on the lower rubber bumpstops to add variable spring rate. It sounds like you went to far with your crank. If you can lower it some and still keep good clearance it should help. When you crank your torsion bars it takes away from the leverage on the control arms and makes the suspension harder because it is harder to move the arms. It is also limiting downward travel if your upper control arms are close to the lower bumpstops on the frame.

I have mine cranked to level and it is stiffer than stock, but still rides nice. I don't know if you put the 20's on before you cranked, but that has a little to do with it too.

Cognito makes some replacement upper control arms that allow you to get more downward travel. I don't have experience, but I have heard they are good. Check out fullsizechevy.com and do a search for torsion bars; you will find everything you want.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ I agree, sounds like you have the bars cranked too much and your hitting the upper arms on the bumpstops. De-crank a little bit. These truck come 1.5-2" lower in the front from the factory, so if you're 1-1.5" higher in the front you're bars are way cranked, like 3"+. Not good for front end parts or ride (as you've found out). Just use the keys to level the truck out and you'll be good. Actually, I just noticed you have an '05, your truck is pretty new so you may not be able to de-crank to level with those newer t-bars. Try it and see, if you can't, then put the factory keys back in and crank the bars to get level. If you have a newer truck ('05-'07), you can more than likely crank to level w/ the factory keys, bars haven't sagged yet.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I disagree with the above, they CC trucks run on much different springs and t bars, much stiffer then a ECSB or other 1500. I've noticed all 1500 CCs have this "spongy" ride and the only thing you can is stiffen the REAR with adaleafs or 2500HD spring packs. Mine rides the same way as do 3 other identical trucks at work. They say they make the springs longer and less eliptical so that the truck rides better and looks the same reguardless of weight in the bed but at the same time it rides worse (or spongier)
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

yea, i dropped it down about an 1" and it rides so much better, and i still have good clearance in the front. Does anyone know if i can tuck 33" tires now? my front sits about 39" high from the ground to the fender. I want maybe 305/55/20. thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, 39" w/ the 32s on there? I'm at 37 with stock tires and the stock bars maxxed. You should be fine w/ the 33s...just measure w/ the tires you have now and check if you have an extra 1/2 inch of clearance on both sides of the tire (1" total diff. in diameter) through the turning radius.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

hey jimmy i see you finally got the keys on huh. well i blew one torsion bar so im gettin ready to replace mine when i get my rear end biult.but cranking them down does definatley help wit hthe ride.an im sure you can fit the 33's.just be aware of 33 that have large side lugs, they might rub a bit depending on what width the tire is
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Launching!

i will prolly do another set of nitto terra grapplers, 305/55/20 anyone know the exact size on these? Any tire choice and size recommendations would be appreciated. thanks- Allan

Quick Reply: Rough ride need to fix!! Z71