Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Also I would run DEX 6 fluid from now on in your new build. And matenince is your freind!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot everyone, I guess I have a TON more research to do, haha I will be studying that thread on LS1 as well as looking for a tech video to aid. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming, can never have too many options
Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
Thanks a lot everyone, I guess I have a TON more research to do, haha I will be studying that thread on LS1 as well as looking for a tech video to aid. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming, can never have too many options
A video Like this??? Wonder if any one else has watched it or could recomend it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4L...item5193f22a1e
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

haha you're the ebay king man!

I was more referring to a youtube video or something. At any rate, not really sure what Im about to get myself in to, still have options and time as my bike needs tires before I can even start to think about the truck
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
A video Like this??? Wonder if any one else has watched it or could recomend it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4L...item5193f22a1e
I have that video, not much for performance, but very good for how to tear down and re-assemble...+1 buy it.

In the video they do add a beast shell, and dual sprag, but no other changes. Mainly a good stock rebuild.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Junkie

cool, thanks a lot man, I appreciate all the help

now just time to get it done!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished my 4l60 rebuild yesterday and am about to start putting it in, i bought a rebuild kit from ebay, it had everything i needed, all your clutches, seals, gaskets, everything, but if you have the money id suggest having it rebuilt rather then doing it yourself, i mean actually doing the work is not very difficult, you dont need ANY special tools, i have a book that tells you how to rebuild it plus i went on youtube and looked up various videos, but its nerve wracking work and theres no real way to test it except just installing it and seeing if it works, i read so many nightmare storys about people forgetting to put in even just one washer and having the tranny go out in like 30 miles or getting it running and reverse not working, but a rebuild kit was $90 and i didnt have the money to have it rebuilt for me so i didnt really have a choice and my tranny went out completely
so my only suggestion is if you have the money then have it rebuilt
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by silverado13
i just finished my 4l60 rebuild yesterday and am about to start putting it in, i bought a rebuild kit from ebay, it had everything i needed, all your clutches, seals, gaskets, everything, but if you have the money id suggest having it rebuilt rather then doing it yourself, i mean actually doing the work is not very difficult, you dont need ANY special tools, i have a book that tells you how to rebuild it plus i went on youtube and looked up various videos, but its nerve wracking work and theres no real way to test it except just installing it and seeing if it works, i read so many nightmare storys about people forgetting to put in even just one washer and having the tranny go out in like 30 miles or getting it running and reverse not working, but a rebuild kit was $90 and i didnt have the money to have it rebuilt for me so i didnt really have a choice and my tranny went out completely
so my only suggestion is if you have the money then have it rebuilt
that my thing too, its very annoying to not be able to drive my own **** and have to rely on getting the work done to drive it. I can get a trans built at the chevy dealership across the way from my work for 800 with vette servos and a tweaked valve body. Its just comin up with the cash right now haha
Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Teching In

im going to be putting the tranny back in my truck this weekend and i tell you guys what, its so stressful wondering if its going to work, but i also wanted to take on the task because i know alot of people who were mechanics for many many years and thats just the one thing that none of them would ever try to rebuild, so if it works out well and i sucessfully rebuilt it and it lasts for a good long time then it will be a great accomplishment, wish me luck haha
Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Let me know what you end up doing to get it fixed. I am curious to see how this works out for you.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out