Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Problem with Hotchkis rear swaybar install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Hotchkis rear swaybar install

Ok guys, was installing the Hotchkis swaybars tonight. Fronts went on no problem. Rears were a touch different, nothing major. On the drivers side on my truck, the front mounting point for the piece that mounts to the frame is right where the gas tank guard and associated bolt are. Look at the pics.

Here is the link to the hotchkis install instructions (http://www.hotchkis.net/bin/instructions/2228,2229.pdf). Remember I'm on a long bed so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but it looks like the only way to get this bracket to lay flush with the frame is to trim off that part of the gas tank shield. My buddy noticed that even in the hotchkis install notes, they have completely removed the gas tank shield (Bullet #. Not what I want to do but just an interesting point he made. I'd rather trim the current shield. Also noticed that it looked like Hotchkis bent that wire brake bracket outboard of the swaybar, Bullet #12.

I can't move the bracket further backward because of a frame weld that makes the surface uneven.

Whatcha guys think? By the way I have 1.5" worth or drop via a Belltech shackle, not that it makes a difference

Andrew

Last edited by agreif; 09-09-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

that pdf link didnt work but i have a hotchkis rear sway on my truck and what i did was bolt up the swaybar to the axle and then place the brackets making the links vertical at ride height i dont ahve that goofy gastank sheild tho and i am lowered
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I fixed the link.....so your short bed doesn't have a shield on the gas tank?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i ahve a longbed no sheild
Old 09-09-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

you just took it off?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

it didnt have one when i bought it it's a 99 prolly added in 00 or 01
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a 2004 shortbed stepside, didn't come with a gas tank shield.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had no Shield on mine, I did find that if you want to get that stud bar that goes on the inside of the frame rail in, you can do it with a wire fishing it through without droppin the tank. Also, I found that the brackets worked better centered not flush with the outside of the frame. This was on a short bed fleetside 2wd 99 thou.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatcha mean work better? I had it setup on the outside and that matched pretty well with the swaybar width. Possibly some variability on the tolerances I guess.

Andrew
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as "worked better" when I put the drivers side flush with the outside like they say, the passanger side came out flush with the inside, meaning the bar was not centered on the diff cover and looked funny, so i egged the holes out to center both brackets and now its pretty much square, had to angle one of the u bolts on the axle up a little off of parallel with the ground to clear the shock mount, but other then that its centered and works.

edit: I also got the kit used, with 3k miles on it previously, that could have bent it some.

Quick Reply: Problem with Hotchkis rear swaybar install