Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Noob 4L80e build thread, could use some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob 4L80e build thread, could use some guidance

Like many others i have been floored by the labor cost to rebuild a 80, and wouldn't you know it i happen to have an 80 that needs rebuilding, so like any normal thinking man out there i figure if some other guy can do it, so can I!
(Special training and tools? .... whatever, that's for sissies!)

After searching around for numerous days the only good information i could find on the subject was blown3qtr's thread so i decided to join to be able to ask all sorts of annoying questions. Kinda funny i joined a site called "Performance trucks" the only thing my trucks are good at performing is running over **** and looking like a rolling trash heap.

Anyways, while i am rebuilding my trans i figure i'll make a "noob 4L80e rebuild thread". Should make for some good laughs.

First things first, 1993 6.2 diesel and 4L80e, 2wd.

I have bought the following parts.
TCI Pro super kit 278800 $310
Upgraded case bushing $6
34 element sprag $50
New solenoid kit $50
Bushing kit $34

Blown3qtr mentions that the overdrive roller clutch should be updated for the newer part. You'll also need to replace the overdrive carrier assembly and the overrun clutch assembly and possibly the turbine shaft.
Where do you buy these hard parts? I called my local GM dealer and was told the overdrive carrier is $900 and the overrun clutch is $600, so that aint gonna happen. If i had that kind of cash i would be dropping this puppy off to get rebuild by someone who knows what they are doing.
Do i just go buy a late 2001 or later junked unit and scrounge it for parts?

Also my 93 has the early style harness plug. I read in one forum where the early harnesses suck and "you have to" upgrade to the newer style harness (internal and external) without the center screw in the connector.
Really?
Is the connector that bad? Mine is still in good shape and if i dont have to spend $100 to replace something that is not broken...

thanks for any input guys.
Tomorrow i'll post some pics of what i recently scored to aid the rebuild of Ol Slippy, im stoked.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Picked up this little gem

and this one

for $150.
Guy said the trans was out of a running 98 Silverado with a gas motor but didnt know what size. I am going to pull it apart and see whats in there and possibly slap a rebuild kit at it, but since its a spare i dont know how much money i want to spend on it yet.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen some updated overdrive parts on e-bay from time to time. Also PATC has them. The trans I presently have in the garage has the new overrun design and those parts are what I need, I've been bargain hunting for couple months.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to your build, hope it all comes together smoothly for you I hope that the whole build is as entertaining as this thread so far...
Here's a couple lines that I particularly liked:

Originally Posted by skark_burmer
(Special training and tools? .... whatever, that's for sissies!)

Kinda funny i joined a site called "Performance trucks" the only thing my trucks are good at performing is running over **** and looking like a rolling trash heap.

If i had that kind of cash i would be dropping this puppy off to get rebuild by someone who knows what they are doing.

Tomorrow i'll post some pics of what i recently scored to aid the rebuild of Ol Slippy, im stoked.
LOL, "Ol Slippy".....and "If i had that kind of cash i would be dropping this puppy off to get rebuild by someone who knows what they are doing." is absolutely my favorite
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

"OL'Slippy" lol That's a good one.