Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new suspensions setup-trying to get it to hook

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stewart, PM sent.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

can yall see it now?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i'm sure everyone with a white background can, but i use the darkside skin and it's really hard to read now lol. leave it as is though, im sure most guys use the stock skin.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

how about now?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
can yall see it now?
Yes, Corey. I can see it now & yes, I have a white screen.

Stew, thanks for input in PM. I figured that's who did yours. But glad u told me who'd be a better choice, plus the latter choice has a name that has proven to do nice work w/o cobbling & seems very customer oriented.
Just in case I ever get to this point.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I’m making headway on the truck here lately and getting excited about it being close to done, so here is an update. My main focus here lately has been getting the truck to hook. It’s not as easy with the 2 wheel drive extended cab. I just want to get it out of the hole as hard as possible because I feel that the light and first 60’ of the race is the most important. My goal is mid 1.5's consistently, which as far as I know; nobody has done with the 2wd ECSB. Plenty of SCSB’s going 1.5 and faster so I know it’s possible!

I already had adjustable shocks and cal-tracs, so the first step for me was a flip kit instead of the shackle/hanger setup. I did this to try and get the operating angles of the traction bars to be better. At the same time, I went to a 15” Bogart wheel and Mickey Thompson tire instead of the 16” wheel+Hoosier tire setup. I think the combination of parts helped big-time over the old stuff. I went from 1.68 on a 125 shot out of the hole, to a 1.68 on motor dead hooking. Even though it is dead hooking, I know it will need more traction on the spray(still haven’t sprayed out of hole on flip kit and Mickey T tires). One drawback of the flip kit is it laid my shocks out pretty bad. They were lying horizontal and at an angle to where they really couldn’t do their job right. Fine for a normal daily driver, but I’m looking from the performance standpoint, and wanting every bit of my 60' that I can get. So I relocated the shocks last weekend. Both out the back and both leaning back 10*. While I was in there I went ahead and welded the axle tube and set my pinion angle to a better position. Here it is at this point. It needs some major cleaning and paint but everything is where it belongs and welded up. Hopefully it works.

The next step in looking for 1.5 60' times is gears and better weight distribution. On Thursday I’m having my 4.30 gears installed. Then it’s on to putting some weight behind the axle for better weight distribution. I had a 20 gallon fuel cell made up that will replace the OEM fuel tank. More weight out back to plant those tires, and less weight up front to help transfer a little more. It’s all centered too which should help. An example of my fuel cell is on skeet’s truck.

The final step will be re-doing the torque converter. I am currently on a circle d triple disk 3600. I want to step it up to a 4,000 to 4200. Hopefully the new suspension setup will work with the bigger gears and converter with a 125 to 150 shot out of the hole. I’ll keep this thread updated with any better/worse 60’ times that I may get in the future.
looks awesome, nice truck. dont they make a set of cal-tracs for flip-kits that is not the same as the other one? how much did the bars improve your et?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Teching In

lookin good Stewart! the 430's and new stall should work well with your setup.
Hope them wHoosi-ers can handle it!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsparkyy2000
looks awesome, nice truck. dont they make a set of cal-tracs for flip-kits that is not the same as the other one? how much did the bars improve your et?
the day i figured them out i was in an index race. i wasnt coming anywhere near the times i needed. cutting 1.80 60' times and trapping 7.70 in a 7.50 index class. a buddy helped me adjust them and it went from consistant 1.8 60' times to 1.68 and 7.43 on the track time. i had to get out there and back up to them to try and trap ahead but not go faster than 7.50 because i was out of tnt time for the event. i lost that night 2nd round
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks! I've been wanting cal-tracs for awhile and the more info the better. Do you have any clearance problems driving around town? Any times off nitrous?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there enough travel with those shocks?

Are those the rancho adjustables? Im planing on a setup like yours later on but without a flip kit

Quick Reply: new suspensions setup-trying to get it to hook