Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New 4 link for NBS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Awesome man! I really hate mastercam. Probably cause I have limited use with it. But great job on your design!

How much space do you lose having the coilovers on the outside of the frame like that? Looks like they stick out from the frame a couple inches more than the stock leafs do...?

I really like Mastercam, although it took me a while before I was really comfortable ith it. Just stick with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Believe it or not I actually have more clearance between the 4 link bar and tire now than I did previously with leafs. I have about 1.25" between the tire and coilover and 1.5" between the tire and link bar." If needed in the future i could bring the coilover mount inward another 3/8"- 1/2" to clear wider wheels without that much trouble. My wheels are 10.5" with 295s so they on the wider side of things i suppose.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=schino;5266594]OP awesome setup you have there and looks like some nice machine work. what is it you do for a living?

Thanks, I'm a machinist. I have a pretty cool job. Not sure if you guys are familiar with any Subaru stuff but I run the machine/fab shop at Cobb Tuning. We do Subaru/Ford/Nissan/Mazda/Mitsubishi performance software along bolt-on hard parts. I get to build the majority of our r&d parts along with small production runs at our shop.

I'm still using X6, although I'm going to download the upgrade here in a the few weeks. Modeling isn't best in mastercam although its better than nothing and gets the job done. Fingers crossed I will be getting a seat of Solidworks here in the next few weeks! What version do you use? I take it your a machinist as well?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in the .stp files, need an email address?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

What size DOM tubing you used?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Sure, pm me your address.

I used these bars.
4-Link Round Adj. Bar with Poly Bushings | thorbros.com

And 1" Dom for the watts link bars.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks I'm fixing to order some. DOM tubing and was looking at Thorbros the other day.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

No prob. For the price they sell them for it would be hard to make your own any cheaper... Plus their quality is awesome and they can make them any length you want.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, I was thinking about a very similar setup. Interested on how it works for you.

What length bars did you go with?

Last edited by Gadgetized; 01-10-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=milesp07;5266608]
Originally Posted by schino
OP awesome setup you have there and looks like some nice machine work. what is it you do for a living?

Thanks, I'm a machinist. I have a pretty cool job. Not sure if you guys are familiar with any Subaru stuff but I run the machine/fab shop at Cobb Tuning. We do Subaru/Ford/Nissan/Mazda/Mitsubishi performance software along bolt-on hard parts. I get to build the majority of our r&d parts along with small production runs at our shop.

I'm still using X6, although I'm going to download the upgrade here in a the few weeks. Modeling isn't best in mastercam although its better than nothing and gets the job done. Fingers crossed I will be getting a seat of Solidworks here in the next few weeks! What version do you use? I take it your a machinist as well?
That's an awesome job. I know them, my brother has a wrx. X6 is good. The pre X stuff was a little clunky to use, reminded me of the 90s autocad. If solidworks doesn't pan out let me know, I'll see if I can get you something. I'm a manufacturing engineer/programmer doing aerospace and defense parts for like rockwell Collins, Parker, L3, GE, marotta controls, ect.. we are on X8 mill level 3. I'm not sure I like 8. They changed the icons

Quick Reply: New 4 link for NBS