Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Negative camber on rear wheel, pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative camber on rear wheel, pics

2004 Silverado 1500 RCLB 4.8 5 speed. Was planning on lowering my truck, so I measured rear wheel well height on each side and the passengers side is sitting about an inch higher than the drivers. Took a look from behind and sure enough the drivers wheel looks like it is cambered in at the top. What would cause this?, bent axle tube is all I can think of. I would think bad suspension parts such as shocks or springs would only lower that side of the truck not tilt the wheel. Just bought he truck recently so not sure of its history. Great condition as far as I can tell other than this.
Negative camber on rear wheel,  pics-0705172025.jpg

Negative camber on rear wheel,  pics-0705172025a.jpg
Old 07-06-2017, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You can set an angle gauge on the axles tube itself to check it that way and also set the gauge on the face of the drum with the wheel off to see what it point in at.

The passenger side will always be higher than the drivers side though, the fuel tank is on the drivers side. They all have the chevy lean when the tank has fuel in it. When I lowered my truck 4in in the back the lean was more prevalent with 35 gallons of gas in the tank. About 1/4 full and it much closer to level.