Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

need to fix inside wheel peel,immeadiate turn from stop,eaton/trutrac? searched alot

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need to fix inside wheel peel,immeadiate turn from stop,eaton/trutrac? searched alot

OK
This may be the biggest test of a rear end unit.
You're stopped at a light, and need to make a turn (especially right) you gun it to get into traffic, and the inside wheels gets light, and nearly starts on fire.

My G80 is usually hiding somewhere for these occasions.

I also have a lot of trouble when flooring it while cornering hard on a ramp (one tire fire)
SO, if I get a new rear, will the eaton give me both wheel traction and let me get sideways, or will the trutrac work better?
And, will the clutches on the eaton lsd last very long when driving it hard in the corners?

I have researched this to death, but can't get the info I'm looking for in the searches.

Experianced spirited drivers please chime in.

Last edited by Moddoo; 11-25-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a tru-trac and it works perfectly in the situations that you describe. There are no clutches to wear, so that is not an issue.

If I make a right turn and give it heavy throttle, the inside wheel only gives a couple of chirps during the acceleration. It can kick the rear out if the road surface is wet, but I haven't had a problem on dry surfaces. The rear is very predictable and controllable on wet surfaces. I can dictate what I want it to do and when.

Installing the diff was one of my best mods that I have done to my truck. I can't speak for the Eaton users, but I'm sure it's a fine diff. I have heard that the driving style that you describe can be abusive on a clutch diff and wear it prematurely. That's just something I heard, I have no facts to back that last statement up, just something to think about.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we did an eaton in my buddies truck over 2 years ago, he drives it hard, and the rear hasnt gave any problems yet. as for my, i just install an auburn posi in mine, and it will DEFINETLY go sideways in the turns. this is the best mod i have done.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't worn out my clutches yet and drive my eaton posi pretty hard. If I had to do it again, I probably would do the Trutrac or the auburn unit so you don't have to even worry about the clutch pack.

http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/sh...tml/page7.html