Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Magna Charger for the TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on power and heat soak issues... I think a Magnacharger would be sweet for a TBSS.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in san francisco average temp is 61 over here so heat soak wont be a issue lol
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

I live in Carlsbad just North of San Diego and I dont have any heat soak issues in my SSR. I have about 25-30 SSR's running the same setup that will be used on the TBSS and dont know of any with heat soak issues. The engine compartment of the TBSS is much bigger too.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Launching!

I am in MN so our temp can be anywhere from -20* - 110*. I would say average summer heat is around 85mph. I just know on a lot of Maggie cars that after you make multiple passes or dyno pulls you slowly start to lose power.... if I am wrong please tell me.

I traded in my 2005 GTO and was either going to do the Maggie or ProCharger. However, the heat soak on the GTO was terrible and I didn't want to put another item on the car that would generate even more heat.

I need more power for this TBSS. I am looking for mid to high 12's....
Old 07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Multiple passes back to back or the same on a dyno will effect anything even a normally aspirated vehicle. The key is to build it to minimize the cool down time and be as consistent as possible.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Restricted User

only 72 more hours till we hear from magnacharger. not that im really counting lol
Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyZ28
Depending on power and heat soak issues... I think a Magnacharger would be sweet for a TBSS.
What does not have heat soak?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Restricted User

you know i had a quick question. on the trucks psi vs psi like magnacharger vs vortech or procharger at the same psi dont they all make about the same horsepower and torque
Old 07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
What does not have heat soak?
Every car will... however, from what I have seen, Magnachargers generate a lot of heat and can shove hot air back in. It doesn't utlize dual intercoolers like a ProCharger. However, the off the line power is amazing from what I've heard.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NORCAL TBSS
you know i had a quick question. on the trucks psi vs psi like magnacharger vs vortech or procharger at the same psi dont they all make about the same horsepower and torque
They are all different types of blowers. The Maggie sits on top of where the intake manifold would normally be and there is a heat exchanger right below it. The Maggie will make about an extra 100hp/120tq (general) and will make a really nice straight power band (good for trucks), however, they can have high heat soak issues (from what I've seen and basic logic). The LS2 engine bay gets extremely hot and the LS2 suffers from bad heat soak in stock trim. The TBSS is slightly better than the GTO as the MAF isn't directly next to the exhaust manifold... but it's still rather close. This makes the air intake temp read higher than it is because it's picking up the expelled exhaust gas temperature. When this happens the vehicles tend to pull timing out and you can lose power rapidly.

With a ProCharger it is a centrifigal blower and will make more mid range and top end power. The power curve looks very similar to a turbo. However, the ProCharger has dual intercoolers for cooler boost. When this happens you can run more boost safely and get increased power. As an example, you run 5-6psi of boost with a Maggie, but you can pump 9-10psi with a ProCharger due to the cooler intake temp charge. But, I think 9-10psi of boost on a high CR LS2 isn't smart. If you did a lower compression LS2 you could easily get 13-15psi out of a D1-SC ProCharger.

I am not that familiar with Vortech but I believe they have after coolers. After the install the engine bay doesn't look nearly as clean as a Maggie or ProCharger. The Maggies are "plug and play" type installs. Once installed they look like factory components and you can install them in your garage. The ProCharger would take a bit more time to install, but the end result is great. But, we are still waiting to find out if the Maggie and ProCharger will be available for the TBSS. If it were my choice I'd probably go with the ProCharger.

If you had time you could call up Bob at Exotic Performance Plus and I am sure he could get a ProCharger rigged for you. He did one on a CTS-V and made an insane amount of power. He might need to relocate the battery (not a bad idea) and trim and notch out some parts for the TBSS, but I am sure he could work it out.

I also believe the Maggie is a bit more expensive than a P1-SC. If you plan on running big power later on the D1-SC can support upwards of 20-25psi of boost.

The Maggie and ProCharger are great products and it depends on what you want. Our local dealerships install the Maggies on GM trucks and cover them under the normal powertrain warranty.

Are you looking for a moderate power increase with a flat curve, or... do you want big power for 1/4 mile and bragging rights?

Quick Reply: Magna Charger for the TBSS