Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

M&H Drag Slicks Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
Good info. Nice to hear from someone who's used them.

What BS you running on those 16x10's?

what psi were they crowning at? what psi did you air down to?

What kind of Torque are you laying down?
Those rims have a 4.5 BS.

They were crowning or ballooning on me at every pressure I ran. Since my truck is so heavy I started at 20 PSI and worked my way down. I stopped at 11 or 12 PSI because it was just getting too loose. I run the cheaters anywhere from 20 down to 14 PSI depending on track conditions and they don't crown or balloon, they wear pattern is perfect with great stability.

In track configuration I am making about 1300 foot pounds on the bottle and 1000 on just diesel. It wrinkles them up pretty good.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BMDMAX
Those rims have a 4.5 BS.

They were crowning or ballooning on me at every pressure I ran. Since my truck is so heavy I started at 20 PSI and worked my way down. I stopped at 11 or 12 PSI because it was just getting too loose. I run the cheaters anywhere from 20 down to 14 PSI depending on track conditions and they don't crown or balloon, they wear pattern is perfect with great stability.

In track configuration I am making about 1300 foot pounds on the bottle and 1000 on just diesel. It wrinkles them up pretty good.
I'm wondering if the gasoline types would see the same issue at considerably less torque.

btw, thats a **** load of torque!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hard to say if the gas trucks would have the same issue. I think that the nostalgia slick would really run well on a 16x12 rim rather than the 16x10. I know they rate it for a narrower rim but I believe that the 10 inch crowds it a bit causing the crowning. I have not found a 16x12 rim to fit my truck yet though.

I have had the truck up to the 1440s in torque but that gets pretty tough to hook in 2WD.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:52 AM
what a rush!

Hard to say if the gas trucks would have the same issue. I think that the nostalgia slick would really run well on a 16x12 rim rather than the 16x10. I know they rate it for a narrower rim but I believe that the 10 inch crowds it a bit causing the crowning. I have not found a 16x12 rim to fit my truck yet though.

I have had the truck up to the 1440s in torque but that gets pretty tough to hook in 2WD.
Hello again,
well I called Tom back yesterday and talked some more about the Nostalgia and the MHD-11. He seemed surprised that you were hooking better with a smaller diameter/harder compound/narrower tire. And I would tend to agree, however, the proof is in the pudding. He stated that a properly sized slick should have about a 1/2" of deflection, when mounted on the wheel, from the center of the tire to the edge of the tire. And, that all things being equal, the Nostalgia should Hook better; because it is stickier, wider, and larger diameter, which should all equal better times. He said that the Nostalgia was more suited for a truck application because it is a stronger tire and that the MHD-11 is a lightly constructed tire, that said, due to the beefier construction the Nostalgia should be the more stable tire at speed. Best E.T. on these tires is about 5.5 sec, highest speed around 260mph's, highest HP around 2000. He thought the issue might be gearing, stating gearing is important and that one had to have the right gear for the right tire, and that maybe your gearing better utilized a 30" tire vs. a 32".
Also, the Nostalgia seems an ideal fit for a 10" wheel as most of the Dragsters in this era only had/have 10" wide wheels; a point noted when designing this slick.
sooooo, when did you buy/use your Nostalgia slicks? apprently there were several different carcesses used before they decided on the final one, I also found out that how you store a slick, & it's age are important too.
What gears you running?
Just trying to figure things out
Thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also found out that how you store a slick, & it's age are important too.
Do tell!!

I personally have a stand in my garage that has 2 8 lug hubs welded to channel allowing the slicks to be bolted to it keeping them off the ground. I also have always treated my slicks with a 50/50 mixture of kerosene & mineral oil.. Anyone else do the same or have a "magic potion"?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

My nostalgias are practically brand new, only run once. Both the MHD-11's and the nostalgia have been stored the same way. The MHD-11's have well over a hundred passes on them and still run great. I have treated them with a compound softener one time as well as they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am running a 3.73 gear in my truck. I need to take a pic of the two side by side so you can see what I am talking about on the wear pattern. If you want to discuss it shoot me a PM and I will answer whatever questions you have.

I am going to shoot Tom a call too as he worked with me a long time ago on my initial setup of the MHD-11s and then the Nostalgias. We might be able to figure something out.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
what a rush!

My nostalgias are practically brand new, only run once. Both the MHD-11's and the nostalgia have been stored the same way. The MHD-11's have well over a hundred passes on them and still run great. I have treated them with a compound softener one time as well as they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I am running a 3.73 gear in my truck. I need to take a pic of the two side by side so you can see what I am talking about on the wear pattern. If you want to discuss it shoot me a PM and I will answer whatever questions you have.

I am going to shoot Tom a call too as he worked with me a long time ago on my initial setup of the MHD-11s and then the Nostalgias. We might be able to figure something out.
sounds good, those MHD-11's seem to be holding up well.
Maybe the 3.73 isn't enough gear for them, just thinking outloud.
Tom also stated that personal preference was a big factor too. What feels good to one person, doesn't feel good to the next...
BTW, thanks for sticking around and hashing this out with me
Old 02-11-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem. The 4WD Duramax trucks are running 32" tall tires with the 3.73 gears with great results so it should work out to be the same. I like the 30's since it keeps me right at that 3.73 ratio and I certainly don't need a shorter tire with only 3,600 RPMs to spin. I had hoped that the wider Nostalgia being a full slick, softer compound and a taller tire that I could lauch with more boost, hook better and trap at higher speed with the taller tire but I went backwards with them.

I agree that the tire feel is pretty subjective but it was night and day between the two. I did call Tom and he is checking on a few things about when my Nostalgias were built as they have been making steady improvements. I may have an earlier design....

I will keep you posted.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
what a rush!

No problem. The 4WD Duramax trucks are running 32" tall tires with the 3.73 gears with great results so it should work out to be the same. I like the 30's since it keeps me right at that 3.73 ratio and I certainly don't need a shorter tire with only 3,600 RPMs to spin. I had hoped that the wider Nostalgia being a full slick, softer compound and a taller tire that I could lauch with more boost, hook better and trap at higher speed with the taller tire but I went backwards with them.

I agree that the tire feel is pretty subjective but it was night and day between the two. I did call Tom and he is checking on a few things about when my Nostalgias were built as they have been making steady improvements. I may have an earlier design....

I will keep you posted.
sounds good, keep us posted.

I love the stance of your truck..........reminds me of mine

Old 02-11-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yours is sweet. Nice and clean. I like the way those BFG tires look too, I would have gone with those but they did not have quite the load rating I needed for the trailer and the tread wear was pretty low. How are they wearing for you?

Quick Reply: M&H Drag Slicks Q