Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Light weight brakes for the front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Anything less than 4000 with driver and fluids is an accomplishment I guess, but I still don't see one of these trucks getting down into the generally "light" category. My 2000 ECSB went down to 3820 and at the time I was right at 200lbs so that would have put me a hair over 4000 in an ext cab... I could see a similar reg cab going down to 3850-3900 with driver.... But you've got to understand, you've got an iron block engine, a heavy trans, a pretty good sized turbo kit, probably a cage? I don't see that truck getting real light. What you're removing is probably just offsetting the weight of what you're adding.

My reg cab with a N/A setup, aluminum block, no cage, 60E, fuel cell, ladder bars etc.. Should be way down there... The only thing added from stock will be a nitrous bottle and some lines etc, and the weight of the converter Vs a stocker will offset that by itself... See what I'm getting at? Remove all you want, but youve added a lot of weight to that truck at the same time...
Ben, I weighed my Maggie boxes w/. everything including cardboard boxes & contents (so it will be off a wee bit but I wanted some generalities) as I still haven't installed it. They were 84# for Box 1 & 2. Ya, I'm weight conscious a bit, but I wanna know what I'm addin in, esp. if it's on the nose. Granted some wtg. is offset cause intk come off & what ever else offsets blower. So I know what u mean.

Originally Posted by denali_on_26's
I have a lighter rear end (ford 9") a lighter trans (coan th400) lighter converter a ladder bad set up and no roll cage also I went to a 5lug conversion to run billet specialties light weight wheels fuel cell ect.. My truck is a non power anything other than steering it has tilt only... Im hoping for around 3500ish with me I weight a little under 200lbs
I only added rufly 110lb it my whole turbo setup but it is hanging off the nose and thats the reason I am trying to remove front weight

We got the last one to 3620 with 200lb driver and was a fleetside...
It will all "appear" stock but alot ALOT gets removed hell I have cut and lightened the stepside...lol
The th400 has all lightened internals I picked it up while still on the pallet and walked with it no problem and I can not do that with a 60e.... And the 9" is narrowed with an aluminum center section with aerospeed disc brakes... And yea the ladder bar set up is all WAY lighter I bet every bit of it with the coilover weighted 3/4 of one spring pack...lol

Mine doesn't have 2 layers of abs only one layer around 1/4 thick or less... I have also read on this site that depending on where the bed was manufactured depends its weight...i also had factory shims under my fleet side were I did not need to reuse ther with the stepside... If that has anything to do with it as far as were the bed was made
I never knew there were multiple bed manf. on these fiberglass stepsides. Anyone have any idea on who made them or where they were located?

The truck that weighed 4125# stock w/. hitch & spare tire w/. oem SSS wheels on it, waht year truck was that again? Just bed swap was -107lbs w/. no changes besides bed?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 2000 gmc regular cab with 4.3l/4l60 the v6 has iron heads...
The beds are fleetside I was talkin about
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Since this thread has turned into a "how much does your bed weigh" thread.

My buddy bought a NBS Silverado in Colorado and it came with a plastic bed to prevent rusting from all the salt they throw down during the winter months. Its a fleetside bed and whole damn thing is plastic, including the tail gate.

Does anyone know if these are lighter or heavier than their steel counterparts? I can tell you this, putting the tailgate up is a sombitch. It feels ridiculously heavy. Could be the hinges though, I don't know.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
Since this thread has turned into a "how much does your bed weigh" thread.

My buddy bought a NBS Silverado in Colorado and it came with a plastic bed to prevent rusting from all the salt they throw down during the winter months. Its a fleetside bed and whole damn thing is plastic, including the tail gate.

Does anyone know if these are lighter or heavier than their steel counterparts? I can tell you this, putting the tailgate up is a sombitch. It feels ridiculously heavy. Could be the hinges though, I don't know.
that was a “ProTec“ composite bed. It was just an option for a few years there, not just for salty areas. Quite rare I believe and very light and still strong. Even just the tailgate alone was a good weight savings from what I remember. That's actually the easiest way to spot one was the tailgate, it had the older style “Chevrolet“ script molded into it, raised out 3D from the surface.