Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How would you achieve a 4/6 drop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any suggestions on what brand spindle? Also, what is the benefit of doing control arms over spindles and drop coils?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have bump steer issues with control arms. I've seen a lot of people complain about it. Some don't.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lycominghunter
Any suggestions on what brand spindle? Also, what is the benefit of doing control arms over spindles and drop coils?
belltech and mcgaughy's make quality stuff, i would stay away from DJM personally. idk if nbs trucks spring mounting design allows it, but i know that on 63-98 trucks you can cut off coils to achieve the wanted drop. 1 full coil is about 2" of drop. if your truck is 4wd you do not have coils you have torsion bars. instead of drop coils you would have to run drop torsion keys. to get 4 inches of front drop i would personally get a 2.5" spindle and 1.5" spring/torsion key just because if i ever wanted to go lower the spindle ouldn't be holding me back. if you have acces to a welder, it would be a lot easier to make your own notch, basically cut the same part out of the frame you would as with a bolt in notch, and weld in a filler piece of 1/4" steel in the shape of a c. stronger, simpler, and cheaper, but if you don't have acces to a welder then there is nothing wrong with a bolt in notch
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

With mcgauphys coild and spindle drop on mine im happy. you wont change the actual geometry of the suspension this way like control arms will. everything will sit the same just the wheel is higher in the spindle basically. the truck had suspension designed this way so keeping it like that or doing a 100% change is the only way to get the best handling imo. mine handles just fine for me on a 16" wheel with lots of side wall. and im a big fan of curvy roads.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

16" mc g 2" spindle with a 2" drop spring, or a belltech spindle with a drop spring. I've read that the 17" mcg spindle moves the tie rod location up as well thus causing bump steer.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good information, thanks for the help. I was planning to go with the 16" McGaughy 4/6 kit, so I think i'll try that out with a set of 18" rims to start off for a little more sidewall than 20's, but 20's do look really good.

chevrolet all the way, did you have to trim the ball joint to get your 16" rims to fit? and what shocks do you run/do you like them? Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i had to grind the extra threads below the nut off. i have i think billstein street shocks up front and some monroes out back. i need adjustable socks for the track but in the few years i still havent sprung for 400 bucks in shocks and keep getting cheapos lol
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I have Belltech spindles up front and Hotchkis coils and Im happy with the way the front rides. Its slightly stiff, but feels very controlled. I have some DJM shocks up front that feel alright. I have an axle flip and notch out back with DJM shocks and not really impressed with the ride out back. Way too stiff. I had a lowered Colorado with Belltech Street shocks that rode way better.

Overall Im happy with the handling. I need a rear sway bar, but it feels pretty nice.

Crappy pic, but you get the idea.

Name:  20121124_145439.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  84.1 KB
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

dont use anything DJM out back. all complete garbage. belltech or mcnaughtys for the flip. djm spring up front are good. all of the rest are good too.

spindle and spring up front and flip out back.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i ended up going with the McGaughy kit: drop coils and 16" lowering spindle up front and flip kit in the rear. Havent been able to drive it, but its waiting for me when i get home! Now I just need to get some rims and tires...what do you guys think? Also, you think the front coils will settle so that its level? Seems to be a tad higher up front after the drop...
Attached Thumbnails How would you achieve a 4/6 drop?-sideview-home2.jpg   How would you achieve a 4/6 drop?-front-side-view-home2.jpg  

Quick Reply: How would you achieve a 4/6 drop?