Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Horrible Driveshaft Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Horrible Driveshaft Work

It takes a lot to **** me off, but this place.

I take them my 4inch Aluminum DS (Built by DriveShaftShop) to be cut shorter to be used with my new 4l80E transmission.

I write down my lengths, 62 3/8's tail housing to rear (center of half moon)
Output shaft protrudes 1 1/2 inch

He says No Problem. I ask about High speed balancing, he says he has nothing but the best out there.

OK. Pick it up today, first it's easy to figure out which side was cut, welds were grinded down and all over. Next I notice a very large weight that was welded on. Already feeling pretty bad about deciding to go here.

Get home, nice doesn't fit.

Name:  tolong.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  80.2 KB

Welds:

Name:  welds-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  63.0 KB

I messure it, it's 65" tip to tip.Not sure how a 65inch shaft fits in a 62inch length, and then a 1 1/2inch output shaft to make the gap smaller. Well, it doesn't.

Take it back, he says " how much more do you want me to take off". And I quote " I don't know, I don't build these things. I gave you my lengths. I then show him the pictures your looking at and my huge mistake say "An inch, maybe 1 1/2, 1 3/4, I just need it to slip in the rear and not bottom out.

He take an 1 3/4 off. Again, my mistake for not saying "if you cant build it base on my measurements, I shouldnt be here"

Instead, I go with that. I go back to work and come get it afterwords. Get it home, it's to short.

Now WTF. Pretty sure I have about $575 in this thing now and it's nothing but a fucked over paper weight. Should have went back with guys that know what the hell they are doing, but trusted a local shop.

Name:  image-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy **** I would be in there ***. Who is doing the measuring, who is doing the cutting?? Thats shity that a shop charges that kind of money and does hack work... I would be back there asking them wtf is the deal... But before any of that I have to ask did measure it before you paid them for it the second time?? That would have been my first step..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I measured my truck. Triple checked it. I don't know what else to give the guy, he' completely f'ed up my DSS $450 shaft. He charged me $100 to cut it and balance. He didn't charge the second time he jacked it up.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through this same exact **** with a local shop. I wanted it shortened, gave them the measurements of their request, just to have them cut it too short. I bought a 2" longer trans yoke from them to solve the problem.(they acted like it wasn't their fault). Well, as I suspected, it vibrated due to the u-joint being too far from the tail shaft and having the play be exagerated and allowing it to wobble more. I then called up a real driveshaft shop and got an awsome shaft that has held up to 150+ mph with 5:13 gears for $450 bucks.
All the mom and pop shops I know are only good for rock crawlers and dump trucks. Leave the performance stuff to the professionals.

The only way i'd consider a local shop to build a shaft again is that I haul the truck to them and leave it and pick it up with an installed shaft. To leave all the blame games in their court.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you honestly nailed it. Sorry to hear i'm not the only one.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM

wow man...im really sorry to see that you have 600.00 in a dshaft thats no good. maybe sell it to someone that may need it ya know? 4wd 80e maybe? i dunno buddy.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:28 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

It's sad man, I wanna support local businesses also but all they do around here is turn out crap like this.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

damn man thats some hack job right there!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last update on this is I went back yesterday and this time gave him measurement from yoke center to rear center as per his request, with yoke in desired position. He said no problem, will get you taken care of with a new steel 3.5' shaft. I told him I have a 4500 pound truck and over 600TQ with a transbrake, 3rd gear dyno will spin up to around 145MPH , will it hold. Said "Ow yeah, no problem". We'll see, you can bet I'm putting loops around this damn thing.

Go to pick up and he wants $160 for it. NEVER told me that whem he said he'd "take care of me" Looks at me like i'm a thief for thinking other wise.

I told him no way, my measurements never changed, I never told him to cut it to any sizes, only make me a shaft that fits. Well Larry got pissed and walked out, I ended up talking to another guy who decided to let me have it no charge.

To sum it up, I came in with a 4" $450 DS from Driveshaftshop. Paid 100 for it to be cut/balanced, 3 driveshafts later I leave the shop with a 3.5" steel piece valued at $160 and my shaft is scrap.

What a deal.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man.

Quick Reply: Horrible Driveshaft Work