Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help- Converter bolt install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- Converter bolt install

Ok, so i picked up a converter for my 03 rcsb off here the other day and got it in the trans and the trans bolted back to engine. My problem is the conver bolts wont seat all the way into the converter. They hit a brick wall and still have a good 1/4 inch to go. The converter has no problem getting flush with the plate. I can move it back and forth and watch the bolts pop out on the other side of the plate. Is there a different thread pitch from the stock converter to the PTC converter or is there a trick to getting the bolts to go all the way in. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by 4point8guy; 08-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4point8guy
Ok, so i picked up a ptc converter for my 03 rcsb off here the other day and got it in the trans and the trans bolted back to engine. My problem is the conver bolts wont seat all the way into the converter. They hit a brick wall and still have a good 1/4 inch to go. The converter has no problem getting flush with the plate. I can move it back and forth and watch the bolts pop out on the other side of the plate. Is there a different thread pitch from the stock converter to the PTC converter or is there a trick to getting the bolts to go all the way in. Any help would be great. Thanks.
My Yank had the same trouble wit the bolts bottoming out before it was tight. I had to get shorter bolts. No problem really....just a typical PITA working on cars/trucks
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea just get some new bolts and haul ***
Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Teching In

New bolts would be nice, but what about putting washers between the bolt head and plate to make up for the difference? With some lock tight should work decent right?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get the shorter bolts. They might hit the back of the block sticking out like that.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do it right and get the correct length bolts, that's not something you want to cut corners on.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info on this. Turns out the converter had standard 3/8 helicoils installed over the metric factory threads . Ended up just pulling the helicoils so I could use the more beefy factory bolts.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had so many issues with PTC if you talkin about the company in Muscle Shoals, AL. Im not suprised you got something like that.

ARP torque converter bolts are the best i ever used..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
MASS seller approved

In my Yank they bottomed out and had to grind them in a pinch. Wanted to get the right ones but they are 10.9 and it would have been 2 hours driving around instead of 15 mins so I got after it.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive had so many issues with PTC if you talkin about the company in Muscle Shoals, AL. Im not suprised you got something like that.

ARP torque converter bolts are the best i ever used..
Yea, im not totally sure if they are the ones that put the heli-coils in or not. I think they may have been put in before the last owner took it to ptc for the restall. But I havent had to deal with them personally.

Quick Reply: Help- Converter bolt install