Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Has anyone seen a Gear Vendor Overdrive on newer 4L80e?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Yea you definitly have to pay to play.

And yes you are correct on how it splits every gear. My question is: once you split a gear, do you have to turn the gv off when upshifting? So if you are in 1st over and you shift it into 2nd, will it go strait to 2nd over if you don't turn the GV off?
I believe that is controlled by the brain Box for the unit. It has an electrical solenoid that engages/disengages the unit.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Yea you definitly have to pay to play.

And yes you are correct on how it splits every gear. My question is: once you split a gear, do you have to turn the gv off when upshifting? So if you are in 1st over and you shift it into 2nd, will it go strait to 2nd over if you don't turn the GV off? Or will it shift into 2nd normally
The GV controller does all that automatically. Install and play, no configuration needed generally. The gear splitting happens without user intervention.

I've heard the controllers tend to be on the unreliable side though, failing while both in and out of warranty.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet so it sounds like it would be perfect for drag racing. I have the B&M mega shifter so I could wire the button style handle to the GV. It would be perfect.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting, didn't realize they worked that way.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rem seeing this years ago..

Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that is badass. I wonder what kind of an ET drop and MPH gain you would see
Old 01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Older thread I know, I was wondering if anyone ever did this? It would be trick to install this in my AWD silverado, if that's even possible. I'd rather do that than cram myself in a tiny car.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just call GearVender and ask.. Heck now Im interested..
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can answer any question you have about how these work.
As far as using it to reduce E/Ts, it's not practical. The PCM is completely unaware of the Gear Vendors OD and the GV is unaware what gear the transmission is in. Disengaging and engaging it are somewhat unpredictable as far as timing it goes. Don't even try to disengage it with WOT because if you get the timing wrong you can overrev your motor and bend some pushrods, or worse. Also, the hydraulic system in the GV OD is not pulse width modulated - it is full line pressure full time and can therefore feel violent at certain throttle positions. I always upshift mine with my foot off coasting, and I always downshift with throttle applied.
They do have a major weakness with their torque-holding ability with reverse input, it is only springs holding the conical clutch this way. You have to be careful not to overdo it in reverse (like backing a boat trailer with surge brakes uphill) or downshifting. You can downshift just about normally with the unit disengaged but engaged it doesn't have the strength to hold the reverse torque downshifting. I've smoked that overrun clutch in two units. I really wish they would fix that weakness, it would be about perfect.

Here's an old audio only file of the Tahoe (circa 2001), engaging the OD at the top of first and then the PCM shifts to second which is actually second/over. You have to get it just before the PCM would have shifted to second. Splitting the higher gears at higher speeds is more practical.
http://bertok.us/pics/gv0-70.mpg

Old 08-14-2015, 07:16 AM
12 Second Truck Club

it seems like this would be a great idea for an 80e swap. you could run a steep rear gear to get close to that 60e first gear but have an final OD gear between the 60e and 80e.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen a Gear Vendor Overdrive on newer 4L80e?