Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GM 10 bolt pinion change

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GM 10 bolt pinion change

Guys,
I've swapped transmissions and need to get a custom length drive shaft made. While at it I'm going to upgrade to 1350 u-joints. I've bought a 1350 Spicer pinion for the rear end and need to install it.

About the only information I've found on how to do it goes something like this.

1>Remove the tires/wheels, brakes and calipers.
2>Put an inch/pound torque wrench on the pinion nut and record the torque required to spin the pinion.
3>Remove the old pinion, install the new pinion, and torque it up slowly, checking the rotational torque until you reach the same torque reading from earlier.

Sounds straight forward..... anybody ever do it this way? Wondering how it would work with a clicker style torque wrench?

Any input appreciated.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wont work with a click style torque wrench.
USUALLY rotating torque is measured with pinion only, no carrier, etc...
A new crush sleeve SHOULD be installed, but most will tell you it is not needed.
Install a new seal and deferentially a new NUT!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It should be done with the carrier out of the differential. If you get it wrong, you'll have the opportunity to learn a complete diff overhaul.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Some guys do it like above when just changing pinion it appears. The more I've thought about it the less I like the idea.

I'll install the new yoke with the old nut and get my measurement for the drive shaft I need. Get it ordered. In the meantime I'll get a couple crush sleeves on the way and tear the diff down and do it right.

I remember my last rear setup. Gotta invest in a pinion yoke wrench

Last edited by KySilverado; 12-06-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Some guys do it like above when just changing pinion it appears. The more I've thought about it the less I like the idea.

I'll install the new yoke with the old nut and get my measurement for the drive shaft I need. Get it ordered. In the meantime I'll get a couple crush sleeves on the way and tear the diff down and do it right.

Good choice, I would suggest painting the gears and take pictures of the wear patten. then use it later when setting it up......

Name:  8b38ab63.jpg
Views: 2524
Size:  100.6 KB
Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Guys,
I've swapped transmissions and need to get a custom length drive shaft made. While at it I'm going to upgrade to 1350 u-joints. I've bought a 1350 Spicer pinion for the rear end and need to install it.

About the only information I've found on how to do it goes something like this.

1>Remove the tires/wheels, brakes and calipers.
2>Put an inch/pound torque wrench on the pinion nut and record the torque required to spin the pinion.
3>Remove the old pinion, install the new pinion, and torque it up slowly, checking the rotational torque until you reach the same torque reading from earlier.

Sounds straight forward..... anybody ever do it this way? Wondering how it would work with a clicker style torque wrench?

Any input appreciated.
Thats funny just used that method this morning. Had a leaking pinion seal. I have a book I bought from randys ring and pinion very helpful. Also write down how many threads in front of the pinion nut. The book says to "Stop when force exceeds the original measurement by 1-5 inch pounds do not exceed five inch pounds over original measurement" .
Old 12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It should be done with the carrier out of the differential. If you get it wrong, you'll have the opportunity to learn a complete diff overhaul.
Yup says that in the book also, Simple operation but its one that causes people alot of problems.Because you have to recrush the crush sleeve,if you dont get it exactly right you can end up with pinion bearing failure.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm really dreading doing this. I put the whole rear end in it about a year ago and swore I would never tear into another one. This on top of all the work I've done under the truck over the last couple weeks has whooped me. Plus it freakin cold. I'll get the measurement I need tomorrow and let it sit for a couple days... get the motivation going again.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've just done the trans Roger...diff is not too difficult.
I would use a new crush sleeve.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I replaced mine, I just spun the nut off with a big impact, installed the new yoke with a new seal, and spun it back on with the impact, using red Loctite. Haven't had any problems.......knock on wood!

Quick Reply: GM 10 bolt pinion change