Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

G80?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine out hoping to avoid a failure but I kind of regret it as I am not really satisfied with my trutrac. I got stuck in a ditch the other day because one of the rear tires was in the air and the other one on the ground wouldn't spin... With the factory G80 that situation was no problem.

But I do know of atleast 4 or 5 people that have destroyed them
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

i almost wish i had a G80 to blow... it'd be better than an open diff
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Restricted User

my g80 took a spider gear dump while babying it to the gym in the font of my hood.... maybe my 1-2 is too harsh huh....
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFD
Mines got 166,000 on it and probably 200 passes on MT slicks, and lots of aggresive street driving. I know I need a trutrac but, just wondering if I'm the exception
This makes me feel good as I can't afford a trutrac just yet...gonna have to rock the G80 for a while...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened on the street, with street tires. Dont remember if this was the first or second to go.

Never had a bit of trouble with the tru track after the second or third G80
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine worked flawlessly until around 135k when I put my 20s on. It quit working around 10k later. Nothing special done to the truck just basic bolt ons. I just noticed it one day not locking wile at a stop and making a right hand turn. Gave it a little gas to pull out into traffic and the right rear tire broke loose and never even tried to lock up. Its never locked since. R.I.P. G80. Looking to go with a trutrac but a little nervous about giving up the full lock that the G80 gives you when your in trouble.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I havn't had any trouble with mine. I got worried the other day cause I pulled out on the high way and eased into it. Acceleration felt wierd and I looked in the rear view and saw about a 10 foot single tire blacky, but the other tire was wet so it might not have made a mark? So i started to get worried. But it was at a very light throttle. Then I got stuck at a train and pulled a U and gunned it kinda pissed and it locked up and just fine, and put me sideways. I've heard that they are ok in a straight line and its the drifting/corner spinning maneuvers are what take em out. I sold my 20"s and I'm rocking the light weight stock rims now. I really wanna do the gear I've got before the end of the summer. But don't see the extra flow for a trutrac coming my way before then.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
The House is Rockin'

my g80 is still working fine, i thought it would have went out years ago, since im running 22" wheels and 4:56 gears.

oh, and its got 187,000 miles
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 203 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Zach
I changed mine out hoping to avoid a failure but I kind of regret it as I am not really satisfied with my trutrac. I got stuck in a ditch the other day because one of the rear tires was in the air and the other one on the ground wouldn't spin... With the factory G80 that situation was no problem.

But I do know of atleast 4 or 5 people that have destroyed them
You need to tap your brakes in that situation. Truetracs work on a torque bias, but it is dependent on how much traction you currently have. Of course if one wheel is in the air it won't work; there's no torque being applied to both sides of the axle to shove both helical gears together. Like I said, just apply enough throttle to get the tires moving, and then gently apply the brakes. Once both tires are seeing resistance to movement, those gears will slide together, and you now have 'posi'

About the G80...it isn't running passes that blows them up, it is strictly rough street driving that messes 'em up. Which is why people often blow them up in street trim... At the track, once you do a burnout the G80 stays locked until you are in the staging beams. It is the transition from unlocked to locked while in motion that grenades them. They won't lock if you start spinning over 20mph, but at 19mph thats still a hell of a lot of force for a little steel locking pin to take.

Last edited by anasasisxenophontis; 05-27-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by anasasisxenophontis
You need to tap your brakes in that situation. Truetracs work on a torque bias, but it is dependent on how much traction you currently have. Of course if one wheel is in the air it won't work; there's no torque being applied to both sides of the axle to shove both helical gears together. Like I said, just apply enough throttle to get the tires moving, and then gently apply the brakes. Once both tires are seeing resistance to movement, those gears will slide together, and you now have 'posi'

About the G80...it isn't running passes that blows them up, it is strictly rough street driving that messes 'em up. Which is why people often blow them up in street trim... At the track, once you do a burnout the G80 stays locked until you are in the staging beams. It is the transition from unlocked to locked while in motion that grenades them. They won't lock if you start spinning over 20mph, but at 19mph thats still a hell of a lot of force for a little steel locking pin to take.
What he said.

Quick Reply: G80?'s