Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front 2" drop: spindle vs LCA

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front 2" drop: spindle vs LCA

I have already decided on a 4" shackle/hanger combo for the rear, but I need to decide on the front.
I know I want 2" of drop with the stock coil spring, and I want to retain as close to stock driveability that I can since it will be my DD, and see the drag strip a few times a year.

Can anyone chime in on what differences there are in a 2" DJM LCA drop vs. the Belltech 2" spindles other than price?

Thanks.

- David
Old 03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lca's affect the steering geometry. Aligning the truck will be slightly tougher as the tires will have slight negative camber. I would go spindles.

With that said. i'm running 2" LCA's and I like them just fine.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Spindles will increase your turning radius, and possibly make you run 17+ wheels which best of my knowledge still require you to grind the balljoint stud down.

Controls arms are said to have increased bumpsteer, but I personally haven't noticed it. Like said above, it can be hard to align with control arms, but all the problems I have heard of are from 4" and 5" drop arms, not 2". Although I personally haven't encountered this problem. If it does happen, it can be fixed with the uppers that are sold though.

With that said, I am happy with my control arms.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

the new style spindles won't increase your turning radius enough to notice. That problem was with the old belltech spindles about 3 years ago.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RandomHero
the new style spindles won't increase your turning radius enough to notice. That problem was with the old belltech spindles about 3 years ago.
yea, The ones that suck are the ones I have, part# 2505.

I called beltech once and talked about why the 2505s suck. I was told they were designed back when the 16" wheels were the only stock size, and that they wanted to make a spindle that could be used with stock wheels for the guys who wanted to keep them. They said that after the 17's were avaialbe stock they redesigned and they made an even less expensive model, that works better. I think it was PN 2507, but theres newer ones out too now.

I like my spindles aside from the bad turn radius(remember, I got the bad ones). I would get the new ones, but the swap back over means I need to buy stock ball joints again, realign after im done, etc, etc.

-Lurius
Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

I thought I had heard that people with the new belltechs, and even the mcgaughys still had increased radius. Like you said though, I am sure it is negligable now, compared to the old belltechs.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
I thought I had heard that people with the new belltechs, and even the mcgaughys still had increased radius. Like you said though, I am sure it is negligable now, compared to the old belltechs.
You are right, every spindle that isn't factory(to my knowledge) increases the track width. It's just the mcgaughy's and new belltechs aren't enough(IMO) to notice the difference. I've driven a truck with the mcgaughy's 17+ spindles and it drove like stock. I didn't notice a single bit of difference turning to park.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

You are right, every spindle that isn't factory(to my knowledge) increases the track width. It's just the mcgaughy's and new belltechs aren't enough(IMO) to notice the difference. I've driven a truck with the mcgaughy's 17+ spindles and it drove like stock. I didn't notice a single bit of difference turning to park.
Figured as much. Its like the way some people exaggerate about the bumpsteer from control arms. Like I said above, I haven't noticed it to be a problem.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I got tired of the bumpsteer from lca's and switched to McGaughy's spindles. The ride is much better now.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

i havent lowered my truck but ive heard some good things about the new belltech spindles for 17"+ wheels only. i will be getting those for myself in the near future.

Quick Reply: Front 2" drop: spindle vs LCA