Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Flip kit tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flip kit tips

What's up everyone, I've decided to drop my 01 single cab via flip kit in the rear. It doesn't seem hard at all, but anyone that has done it have any tips on what they did during install? Any Pros and Cons? Also did you go with a C-Notch? I've read on here that some people that have done it get away with not running a C-Notch?? Any feed back would be great!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran a flip kit for a little while and didn't need to notch. I'm gonna be listing that kit for sale and throw in shackles pretty soon.........
Old 02-05-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

99-06 trucks require c-notch with flip kit.
07-13 trucks can get away without one

Flip kit isn't hard to install, I prefer to drop the passenger leaf spring and just disconnect the drivers one at the shackle to avoid messing with the gas tank. Then pull your axle over far enough to the passenger side where you can get it up on top of the leaf spring. I did it solo, but obviously easier with a friend
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Flip kit isn't hard to install, I prefer to drop the passenger leaf spring and just disconnect the drivers one at the shackle to avoid messing with the gas tank. Then pull your axle over far enough to the passenger side where you can get it up on top of the leaf spring. I did it solo, but obviously easier with a friend
This.

If you do the notch, support the frame in front of and behind where you're going to cut. If you don't, you'll bend the frame.

Use a cutoff wheel for the notch and a sawzall for any hard parts. Have a GOOD 1/2in drive, corded drill with some spare bits.

Be sure to clear and brake lines before cutting.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
I ran a flip kit for a little while and didn't need to notch. I'm gonna be listing that kit for sale and throw in shackles pretty soon.........
Nice!

Details on the flip kit? Shackles I have already installed.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madmann26
This.

If you do the notch, support the frame in front of and behind where you're going to cut. If you don't, you'll bend the frame.

Use a cutoff wheel for the notch and a sawzall for any hard parts. Have a GOOD 1/2in drive, corded drill with some spare bits.

​​​​​Definitely don't wanna F up my frame 🤔 need to think it out if I'm going to tackle the C-Notch myself or seek professional help.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
This.

yes, very good tips, just how I did mine. With the truck 100% supported by jackstands, I like to get a jack under the rear shackle hanger on the side I'm cutting and jack it up until it just makes contact. This will keep it from bending both up and down. Keeping the bed on makes it harder to work, but helps keep the frame straight. Drilling the holes is the hardest part, but a corded drill with really nice metal drill bits makes quick work of it.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:26 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
^^^This... If needed you can get the drivers side front leaf spring bolt out without moving the fuel tank. You have to cut the pilot section off the leaf springs bolt making it shorter so it can come out. It still hits the tank somewhat but the plastic tank will give enough so you can muscle the bolt out.

On re-assembly simply reverse the bolt with the nut side toward the tank. GM sure made it hard on anyone trying to remove that dam bolt as they could easily have inserted it 180 degrees opposite
Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Well looks like a little bit of work, but want that drop so gotta do it lol!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a 1-2” lift shackle with my flip kit bc my driveshaft was hitting the frame after I dropped the truck. I actually like the look of of the stance now as well bc the rear was slightly lower than the front after my 4/6 drop. This may not apply to you tho bc my truck is an iron block v8 with a 14 bolt rear, and was originally a 4.3 10 bolt. Just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: Flip kit tips