Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Driveshaft/pinion angle vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx

Stupid question, but how are you running a 35” tall tire on this truck anyways?"

I don't understand the question... How? I had the stock rims widened 2" for the 315 width; I'm running a 1/2" spacer to clear the inner wheelwells and leaf springs (the left side actually rubs the inner wheelwell at times, no doubt when the tire is flexing with side load - they're not exactly sports car tires).... The ABS and traction control don't like it because of the differing circumference and subsequent tire speed differential, so I yanked the fuse for those systems. Frankly, I would have preferred a shorter tire, but that was the only option for a 315 in a highway tire. But it looks cool, and Ibwas going for a certain look. Mission accomplished. I actually get frequent compliments on it. Of course, people also assume it's fast, which it is not. It's a "reverse sleeper"... I attached a photo. Hopefully it can be viewed all right; I'm doing this from my phone.

"As for a suggestion, how is the play in the bearing in the tailshaft housing on the trans? Also is the rubber sealing/centering O-Ring present?"

Since the yoke and U-joint area are absolutely bone dry and clean, I have to believe the O-ring is intact. Same goes for the tailshaft bearing - I'd think excessive play would result in a battered seal and a leak, which I don't have. I wasn't specifically looking for this condition when I had the driveshaft out and back in again to check U-joints, but didn't notice any looseness. On the contrary, everything felt pretty nice and snug when it went back together.

"You may need to pop the tailshaft housing off to inspect
When I take the shaft out again for balance and straightness check I'll take a thorough look and see what I can see.

Last edited by Northeastconfederate; 09-17-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Got ya’ in the pic. I was thinking like a lowered truck(more then yours) and ALOT of tire lol