Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Drag tires for 20's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 06:29 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by unklej
Not a problem.... It's nice to get a chance to dust off my engineering degree for a change... lol

Jeff
Oh yeah, since you're dusting off your degree, can (correction, would) you design some 20" Drag tires?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:32 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02-4.8
I meant to say rotational mass not rational mass

unklej stepped in and explained what I was trying to say.

Had a shitty day here, and I was about to take it out on this thread .....so if I came of like and ******* sorry. I asked the engineers here that question and I must admit, I know understand how it works. 20 inch wheels may look cool, but they may not be performance friendly like we all thought.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
Oh yeah, since yur dusting off your degree, can you design some 20" Drag tires?
Thats some funny ****!! This whole discussion seems to be in realtion to the trade off between performance and looks. So it seems that in some cases an aftermarket highquality forged wheel and smaller tire can not only perform better than there stock counterpart, but also look 100% better. Im sure the aftermarket will pick up on this eventually and come out with some 20' drag radials. Problem will most likely be that they will be big $$$$.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, double post
Old 11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Had a shitty day here, and I was about to take it out on this thread .....so if I came of like and ******* sorry. I asked the engineers here that question and I must admit, I know understand how it works. 20 inch wheels may look cool, but they may not be performance friendly like we all thought.
How can they be? there's no Drag tires available!

thou has been forgiven
Old 11-30-2004, 06:37 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Thats some funny ****!! This whole discussion seems to be in realtion to the trade off between performance and looks. So it seems that in some cases an aftermarket highquality forged wheel and smaller tire can not only perform better than there stock counterpart, but also look 100% better. Im sure the aftermarket will pick up on this eventually and come out with some 20' drag radials. Problem will most likely be that they will be big $$$$.
glad someone found the humor in that
Old 11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
there are many forms of performance my son, just think of your 20's as "performance looking"
Old 11-30-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

I wish I could, but my last name is not Goodyear nor heaven forbid, Firestone. If I could, I would, because then I would be able to afford the Radix combo. hehe

As it was stated above, its a compromise between performance and looks and I'm sure they will come out eventually. However, I'm not sure the demand would warrant the cost of engineering the tire to perform in that application. A drag tire is more than just sticky rubber, there are significant changes to the sidwall design. Oh well, I guess we will see what the future brings us.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by unklej
I wish I could, but my last name is not Goodyear nor heaven forbid, Firestone. If I could, I would, because then I would be able to afford the Radix combo. hehe

As it was stated above, its a compromise between performance and looks and I'm sure they will come out eventually. However, I'm not sure the demand would warrant the cost of engineering the tire to perform in that application. A drag tire is more than just sticky rubber, there are significant changes to the sidwall design. Oh well, I guess we will see what the future brings us.

Jeff
I suppose with your above formula, someone; anyone could make a generic QRG to see what effect that larger/different tire/wheel combo might have on performance vs. stock (base #'s)
Old 11-30-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Funny thing was I asked Blownchevy for a job yesterday. I guess I will just have to settle working for my current company (its not all bad, my business is booming )

Jeff

Quick Reply: Drag tires for 20's?