Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still get that tune fixed
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I'd still get that tune fixed
I already did. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killtank
Agreed! I been wanting a mail order tune but the I live at high elevation so I been looking for someone local. I think you all may be right though. The sun shell is defective, hell the dealer even told me it should have been recalled. It is a heavy truck and big wide tires so maybe it isnt a good thing to have it chirping second.
I know someone who can tune your truck when i get back(early next year) if you dont have a custom tune before then. He is a friend of mine and he has tuned my truck and several fbody cars thru HPT. Let me know if you decide to wait. Otherwise im pretty sure the sponsors could still hook you up even with the EP elevation(which sucks btw) Good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I already did. Thanks for the advice
you fixed your existing tune or already went custom?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
you fixed your existing tune or already went custom?
I am still with the Diablo. I just adjusted the shift pressure. I would love a custom tune but I can wait. I am getting ready to buy an s-10 to be my daily so I can go ***** out with the silvy. No big rush. keep in touch and let me know when you are back!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The builder also does all the racing transmissions for our drag cars and dirt cars. 2 of em which is running high 9's in a quarter and never had a problem. I think the sun shell was just defective to begin with. Even the the folks that make the beast told me they have received a lot of issues with this batch that is being recalled.
Ive broken the rear ring gear, rear planetarys, ripped the input shaft out of the input drum but have never broken my beast shell :-/

Right now I am rocking a 4l60e from the junkyard that had extremely black fluid in it - vette servo, transgo, and a tune.. I am even using my old stall that had some metal in it. 14k miles strong still, still shifts pretty good too. I have the tune/shift kit setup to just 'lightly' chirp 2nd.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Beast Sunshell Broke

I own a 2002 Silverado 4x4 and the original sunshell I guess broke as I needed a new one and a complete transmission rebuild. This happened in 2009 at 53000 miles and a "Beast Sunshell was installed. I read sunshells installed at the factory were weak. I am the only owner and this truck gets no abuse what so ever. My wife drives it to church about 20 miles a day, and I occasionally use it when I go fishing. The beast sunshell broke with 26000 miles on it just like the one shown in the pics. I will add my pics as well. The "beast" is not all it's cracked up to be, no pun intended. The transmission shop says it now put a hardened GM Sunshell which is as good or better than the beast. The shop owner gave me his word and a handshake that if this happened again he would fix it free of charge. He would not give it to me in writing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!-beast_sunshell.jpg   Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!-beast_sunshell2.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hating_GM_more_everyday
I own a 2002 Silverado 4x4 and the original sunshell I guess broke as I needed a new one and a complete transmission rebuild. This happened in 2009 at 53000 miles and a "Beast Sunshell was installed. I read sunshells installed at the factory were weak. I am the only owner and this truck gets no abuse what so ever. My wife drives it to church about 20 miles a day, and I occasionally use it when I go fishing. The beast sunshell broke with 26000 miles on it just like the one shown in the pics. I will add my pics as well. The "beast" is not all it's cracked up to be, no pun intended. The transmission shop says it now put a hardened GM Sunshell which is as good or better than the beast. The shop owner gave me his word and a handshake that if this happened again he would fix it free of charge. He would not give it to me in writing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Nice screen name and first post. Your going to get lots of positive attention coming on a mostly gm site with that SN. Thats like me walking into a black church and screaming out hail KKK. Oh and welcome
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been down this road before.

Name:  1d3a3317.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  94.1 KB

Quick Reply: Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!