Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Your truck should not be spinning on the 1-2 shift. The only reason I could see them spinning is if you have the shift pressures WAY too high. Just because the tranny is built doesn't mean you should turn everything up to the max. Your truck is bone stock practically, so I blame the tuning/shift kit setup honestly.
He does have a point, especially with those tires. I can spin them sometimes but it always hooks if i let off and then feather it. After it hooks it doesnt even chirp 1-2. I also have 305/40-22 so they are heavy. But still, you shouldnt be roasting them that bad to the point where u blow a built tranny...
Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killtank
That is why I had the transmission rebuilt in the first place. To handle punishment.
Ive gone thru about 17 built transmissions.. the 60E wont live long with that weight and punishment. If you get the shifts down to where it pretty much clicks into the next gear, it will thank you.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

what about spinning on the 1/2 shift at oe pressures?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then the shift kit/ servo setup is too harsh.
Does it have any spacers or washers in the accumulator?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Found your problem

If your breaking the tires loose on a 1-2, imagine the stress the transmission sees tryin to do that.
Change the pressures down just a lil where the 1-2 is more of a bump instead of breaking the tires loose.
Your truck should not be spinning on the 1-2 shift. The only reason I could see them spinning is if you have the shift pressures WAY too high. Just because the tranny is built doesn't mean you should turn everything up to the max. Your truck is bone stock practically, so I blame the tuning/shift kit setup honestly.
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive gone thru about 17 built transmissions.. the 60E wont live long with that weight and punishment. If you get the shifts down to where it pretty much clicks into the next gear, it will thank you.

these guys have it right. the beast wont break under normal abuse but some things are just stupid. you dont put a brush guard on your truck so you can ram buildings...

once a trans is built you "tune" the valve body and line pressures to what you want and the transmission desires. high line pressures will break lots of parts. you can change several parts in the transmission that can get more fluid places faster, but that does not mean it has to do it at high psi due to a simple epc adjustment. There is much more to it than that. Talk to your builder and see what all he did as far as parts and valve body/ fluid passage changes. also have a chat with your tuner to see why the line pressures are so high.

Weight is a big weakness to a 60E (much more than power) but you are not anywhere near the limits of a well built 60E with what you have. A well built stock transmission should hold up to your truck honestly.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
also have a chat with your tuner to see why the line pressures are so high.
Diablosport tune... There's the problem.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I helped a guy with a GTO that had a Diablo and after a couple hours i finally got the trans to do what i wanted after we rebuilt it. Its just not user friendly like EFI Live

If its a custom Diablo tune then it needs work.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

lol i read that after i posted... yeah that could definitely be an issue...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
lol i read that after i posted... yeah that could definitely be an issue...
Agreed! I been wanting a mail order tune but the I live at high elevation so I been looking for someone local. I think you all may be right though. The sun shell is defective, hell the dealer even told me it should have been recalled. It is a heavy truck and big wide tires so maybe it isnt a good thing to have it chirping second.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Weight is a big weakness to a 60E (much more than power) but you are not anywhere near the limits of a well built 60E with what you have. A well built stock transmission should hold up to your truck honestly.
The builder also does all the racing transmissions for our drag cars and dirt cars. 2 of em which is running high 9's in a quarter and never had a problem. I think the sun shell was just defective to begin with. Even the the folks that make the beast told me they have received a lot of issues with this batch that is being recalled.

Quick Reply: Destroyed my sunshell! THE BEAST!