Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Coilovers for the front of nnbs 07-13 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

From measuring and adjusting the LCA height relative to the truck, I came up with a chart that basically goes from a 2" lift to a 4" drop using factory control arms and spindles. Can be used with drop spindles as well for more drop/lift. Technically you could go more but you front end geometry starts to look pretty rough. I am measuring drop from the center of the wheel hub straight up to the fender.

Yea the bottom mount gets rid of the Tbar, creates room for the CV shaft on 4wd trucks, and has an integrated point for limiting straps. I have all this ready to go, just waiting on Eric to be a second opinion
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
From measuring and adjusting the LCA height relative to the truck, I came up with a chart that basically goes from a 2" lift to a 4" drop using factory control arms and spindles. Can be used with drop spindles as well for more drop/lift. Technically you could go more but you front end geometry starts to look pretty rough. I am measuring drop from the center of the wheel hub straight up to the fender.

Yea the bottom mount gets rid of the Tbar, creates room for the CV shaft on 4wd trucks, and has an integrated point for limiting straps. I have all this ready to go, just waiting on Eric to be a second opinion

Where is this chart you speak of?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 PM
I have a gauge for that

In a spreadsheet on my computer
Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What drop is on your truck?
Since I'm not planning on racing would I benefit any by going with your lower or be better off with a t-bar?

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Where is this chart you speak of?
I was going to ask that, haha

Will this be included with the purchase of the brackets?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

I just have my 99 but I have borrowed a couple friends GMT900s for test fitting brackets. If you are 4WD you are going to need the lower, but if you are 2WD you could probably get away without it and use the Tbar style mount. I recommend using it anyway personally.

Its just a chart I made for my reference to help pick out what shocks and springs you need. Basically you just measure your current ride height from the middle of the wheel straight up to the fender and you tell me that number and how much drop/lift you want and I tell you what shock and spring you need. I will pretty it up and post it tomorrow if you really want to see it.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Sharing is caring

Just curious
Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I attached my sizing chart. Interestingly the 2WD and 4WD I measured are nearly identical. I didn't realize the ride heights were the same on the new trucks compared to the older ones. Maybe the 4WDs just have taller tires or something.

I made this based on using my upper and lower brackets and Viking shocks since that is what I sell but any 2.5" coilover with a 1" bearing width will work.

Using this chart should be easier since it is easier to measure than on my GMT800 torsion bar kits since you only need to measure from the center of the wheel to the fender.

The spring rates listed are recommendations and there is some leeway up or down in there. Stiff spring is more responsive and softer spring is lazier.
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers for the front of nnbs 07-13 2wd-afpgmt900coiloverchart.png  
Old 04-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Performance
I attached my sizing chart. Interestingly the 2WD and 4WD I measured are nearly identical. I didn't realize the ride heights were the same on the new trucks compared to the older ones. Maybe the 4WDs just have taller tires or something.

I made this based on using my upper and lower brackets and Viking shocks since that is what I sell but any 2.5" coilover with a 1" bearing width will work.

Using this chart should be easier since it is easier to measure than on my GMT800 torsion bar kits since you only need to measure from the center of the wheel to the fender.

The spring rates listed are recommendations and there is some leeway up or down in there. Stiff spring is more responsive and softer spring is lazier.
Does the t-bar end up in the same location as your bracket?

What am I measuring for? I thought you measure from eyelet to eyelet on the shock? And how would I do this with a strut?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the tbar is a little lower, but honestly there is so much room on these trucks you don't need the extra room. This chart is for using my brackets.

I made this based on measuring the fender height and shock mounting distance, so all you need to measure is from the center of the wheel to the fender and see where that outs you on the chart and where you want to be. The different sections are options if you are going for a specific aspect of the suspension. This is an easier way to do it than having to crawl under the truck and measure that way.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn.... you beat me to it! I'm building some of these too, mine will be powdercoated satin black.

RT