Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Caltracs Vs. Sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, thanks for the input guys. I know eventually Cal-Tracs will be a necessity, but I think Ill do the sway bar 1st. Thanks again everyone
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saying "Caltracs Vs. Sway bars" is like comparing apples to oranges. One system is for controlled body roll while the other is for planted traction during hard acceleration. You have to recognize they are two completely different systems and they can't be put up against one another in a battle. Do you want to go around turns fast or do you want to prevent traction loss during stop light races? The simple answer is both, but if you're asking "Caltracs Vs. Sway bars" as if asking which one to install first, only you can answer that based on what it is you use your truck for most.

Considering the specs on your 4.8L, lowered center of gravity from the dropped suspension and the simplicity of installation, I'd go after sway bars first and traction after.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by InchUp
Saying "Caltracs Vs. Sway bars" is like comparing apples to oranges. One system is for controlled body roll while the other is for planted traction during hard acceleration. You have to recognize they are two completely different systems and they can't be put up against one another in a battle. Do you want to go around turns fast or do you want to prevent traction loss during stop light races? The simple answer is both, but if you're asking "Caltracs Vs. Sway bars" as if asking which one to install first, only you can answer that based on what it is you use your truck for most.

Considering the specs on your 4.8L, lowered center of gravity from the dropped suspension and the simplicity of installation, I'd go after sway bars first and traction after.
ok saying that, tell me how it wouldnt pan out to put cal-tracs on for cornering if its supposed to plant the rear wheels better...?
I dont care if they're 'intended' for full throttle launches.. How does physics not tell u that better planted back wheels would help with cornering? I said I have trouble with wheel hop in hard turns. I shoulda wrecked my truck one night over it. Maybe its just me but it would seem that caltracs would only benefit cornering and compliment the sway bar nicely for cornering and also help traction on launches. Just me I guess.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

caltracs have been my favorite mod so far. they made the biggest change in the performance of my truck. are you getting wheel hop or wheel chatter under hard cornering? chatter will be helped by sway bar (less body roll). less stress on the outside tire. cal tracs will not help body roll , but will prevent spring wind up(wheel hop). if you are spinning under power while cornering and getting "wheel hop", than caltracs will help.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
I've been thinking between the two which would be more beneficial for the rear end. I know traction isnt a huge problem for me but I do have some problems especially cornering. Would Cal-Tracs help with cornering as well as traction or would both Cal-Tracs and a sway bar be necessary? Im lookin to get the best of traction and cornering
If it's all out cornering, u can't go wrong w/ a sway (Hotckkis). But, as u said, best of traction & corner'g, then get both.

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
I would look into a sway bar first its alot cheaper and people have had great results
Hotchkis sways aren't exactly cheap. $339+ shpg for Caltracs.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Both, sway bar for cornering, the tracs for traction......

John
+1.

ok saying that, tell me how it wouldnt pan out to put cal-tracs on for cornering if its supposed to plant the rear wheels better...?
I dont care if they're 'intended' for full throttle launches.. How does physics not tell u that better planted back wheels would help with cornering? I said I have trouble with wheel hop in hard turns. Maybe its just me but it would seem that caltracs would only benefit cornering and compliment the sway bar nicely for cornering and also help traction on launches. Just me I guess.
Kinda sounds like u already know u want both setups.

Originally Posted by InchUp

...I'd go after sway bars first and traction after.
Well said. Caltracs for a drag racer. The sway bars are for the road racer or Canyon Carver. Corner burners don't want body roll. They can go into the corner a lil hotter, & come out of em quicker. Good brakes help them w/ this task as well.

Caltracs are for straight line fun. Launch improvement will help 60' & wheelhop. I have wheelhop in straight line, but it's less now w/ sways. But then again, I did the whole TVS setup at once.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 04RST
I have the hotchkis sway bar kit both front and rear. Def helped cornering, but i'm still putting on caltracs (sitting in my room) to take care of the wheel hop. I'll keep you posted how they work together. I should be putting them in within the next 2 weeks.
Do u have Hotchkis rear springs too?

Originally Posted by shakesvho
just do both
Shakes, u are one of the few I've seen running both. 00Silv4.8, if u do the Hotchkis rear springs, I've been told it's necessary to use a different front bushing to coexist w/ Caltracs. I'll find out when I order.

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-13-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

good info everyone. I know what they're both intended for but it would just make more sense to me to be able to go ***** out in a turn with both. I have noticed wheel hop under power in a turn and thats what kicks the *** end around. I am pretty set on both now. I know its not cheap tho
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the caltracs (I am 4wd even) and the hellwig. I blow em loose on the road, but no way does it stay. I love those caltracs. They take some of the fun out of it almost. LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont care if they're 'intended' for full throttle launches.. How does physics not tell u that better planted back wheels would help with cornering? I said I have trouble with wheel hop in hard turns. I shoulda wrecked my truck one night over it. Maybe its just me but it would seem that caltracs would only benefit cornering and compliment the sway bar nicely for cornering and also help traction on launches. Just me I guess.
Because cal-tracs are for an equal load on both of the rear tires(as in launching). To get the most out of the cal-tracs, you need the equalload on the rear. Going into a corner, body roll takes in effect and then you don't have that "equal load" on both of the tires.

James
Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

good info everyone. I know what they're both intended for but it would just make more sense to me to be able to go ***** out in a turn with both. I have noticed wheel hop under power in a turn and thats what kicks the *** end around. I am pretty set on both now. I know its not cheap tho
Granted, I got my TVS on a GP, but I figure you'll pay ~$250 for rear sway alone & $375 for Caltracs shipped to you. What is your rear spring setup? U have what, a 4/6 drop?

Dewey, u r also running a s/c, w/ NOS. At 11.7, a bit more power is being put down by you.

Build for the future my friend. Think of how much it'll help when u add more.

Quick Reply: Caltracs Vs. Sway bars