Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Caltracs street vs track (Videos & Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I've seen them face up and work, seen them slope down and work...give your truck what it wants and don't worry about that bar angle.

if you're consistently hooking now, leave it alone. if you keep throwing more power at it the way it sits you will eventually have traction issues.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I've seen them face up and work, seen them slope down and work...give your truck what it wants and don't worry about that bar angle.

if you're consistently hooking now, leave it alone. if you keep throwing more power at it the way it sits you will eventually have traction issues.
Ok i understand every truck is different ill do more testing with different adjustments but on the street i have less traction then before thats my concern
Old 05-11-2016, 04:20 PM

you're probably hitting the tire too hard with that preload.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're probably hitting the tire too hard with that preload.
Thats the very first thing i´ll try, that and shock positions
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Your truck has no antisquat when you leave. In my opinion your back bracket needs to be lower, the lower the bottom bar is away from the axle, the more leverage its going to give to the front bracket. As for the front bracket as well, the lower it is, the more leverage it has. You still want some angle tho imo..
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 AM

To make sure im looking correctly, the pic with the angle gauge.... To the left is the cab, and the right is the axle??
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

To make sure im looking correctly, the pic with the angle gauge.... To the left is the cab, and the right is the axle??
thats correct
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by walledition
thats correct
in that case, my below quote is retarded...disregard.

10* is already pretty steep. not sure why you would want more.
loosen that preload and if it still hits too hard on the street, try the top hole on the axle side. don't be afraid to leave a small nickel sized gap on the spring. keep the shocks turned up firm for now. that's what I would do anyways.

calvert says that the top hole on the leaf spring eye hits harder than the lower holes. I've never confirmed it as right or wrong but they should know their product best. I know with my Silverado I tried my best to make the bar level...I've had more success with caltracs once I threw that idea out and just watched how the suspension responds and go from there.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 05-12-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

This picture is less confusing (sorry about that), i wonder if "dirt track racer 81" tought the bars where higher at the axle since his recommending to put it lower on the axle? :s

Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
Your truck has no antisquat when you leave. In my opinion your back bracket needs to be lower, the lower the bottom bar is away from the axle, the more leverage its going to give to the front bracket. As for the front bracket as well, the lower it is, the more leverage it has. You still want some angle tho imo..
Lets see if i understand this right, u recommend the bar being lower all together, the rear further away from my axle and front further away from the leaf spring mount?

What kind of preload do you recommend on the street?
without transbrake how do u launch on the street? try to hit it hard? apply the throttle slowly? without boosting? seems like there are so many different options lol

Quick Reply: Caltracs street vs track (Videos & Pictures)