Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Caltracs or Smith Racecraft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Ferocity, this is indeed for your '01 Ext Cab 2wd, correct?
I guess I could measure mine when I get to, then go off that 8" as to whether they'll fit. Are those 8" ones 2wd or 4wd?
If we all work tog., we can all help others.
Yup, 8" were the longer ones I got from the dealer, but they were only about 1/2" longer than factory. I think 9" overall should do it. I'd look at yours first. If you have enough thread sticking out through the nuts then the u-bolts might just work with the Assassin trac bars.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the caltracs design better, the smith hang down too low at the front mount. I didn't realize the cost of these until now. Those are expensive for the small amount of material you get. Caltracs replacing the front bushing on the spring for a swing point is nice too.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally, I was thinkin Caltracs. Til Ben (silver-mod-o) mentioned the Smith Racecraft.
When u have 1 choice, it's a no-brainer. 2 just makes u decide. Made harder when u can't look at either in person.
I like that both co's make them here in U.S. SRC is proud to say that too!!!

I do like the extra adjust on the SRC. That can be a bad thing too tho, as they say keepin simple lessens complexity. Not sure whether Caltracs or Smith hangs lower. That's only a concern really in winter. Some of u don't have that concern, but it may be minor.
Ya, as Onetogofast said, I too like Caltracs look more, just looks more simplistic. But if Smith has all that adjustability. I can make em hit harder on track, then change to how I'll run on street (most of the time). Caltracs only have 3 adjustments. And yes, either is $$. Smith are $339, + shpg. Caltracs are $369 + shpg. So, they don't really give them away, but I was told by someone along time back on PT, by the time u add in powdercoating, fab, engineering, materials (heims are pricey) u'd be very close to Caltracs price).

I'd also kinda like to know which is better traction bar to keep my handling, as my truck is multi use, versatile & will stay that way as much as I can. Some on here only want full drag.
I do know Catracs are 37#. Anyone got a weight on the Smith Assassin bars?

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-29-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Info added.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Im uploading pics now.. My frame height it 6.5" off the ground and the bottom of my front heim end is 11" off the ground. I do have 2" lowering hangers. As in installation the Smith Racecraft bars are alot easier to install..
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Name:  IMG_10791.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  IMG_10801.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  IMG_10821.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  74.7 KB

Should mount the same..
Name:  IMG_10831.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  73.8 KB

Considering my hangers are *** backwards from everyone else's, I had to notch my hanger.
Name:  IMG_10841.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  74.1 KB

I also had to flip the bracket around to clear my hanger and actually does not come up to the eyelet of the bushing but right in front of the eyelet.
Name:  IMG_10861.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
Im uploading pics now.. My frame height it 6.5" off the ground and the bottom of my front heim end is 11" off the ground. I do have 2" lowering hangers. As in installation the Smith Racecraft bars are alot easier to install..
Tyler, thanks so much for great details & detailed pics.

I'll need to check my dimensions off yours & compare. Where specifically was that 6.5" off ground measured at on frame? What's your overall truck drop, front & rear? Any idea on the weight of the Smith bars?
U have 2" lowering hangers, I have no drop hangers. Dropped my rear 4" thru the flattened leafs & it uses a dogbone to connect swaybar. Other than that, nothin is out of the ordinary.

Sorry for all the questions, just tryin to make as informed a decision as I can.

And most likely, whatever bars I go w/. are it. I highly, highly doubt I'm gonna go & try 1 brand, then try the other brand. So whatever I get, is it.

If this is how bars come finished, I'll likely want em p/c'd. I'll check w/. my powdercoater cause nickel may not cut it (& likely will need to be stripped to powdercoat). Then I'll have a better idea too.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want them soon rather than later i would call smith racing to check availability.
i ordered a set for my 04 rcsb with a flip kit on aug 1. i received them a couple weeks ago(October) . i called to keep checking on my order. they had problems with a lathe and parts needed to be sent to be nickel plated. i wasnt in a hurry so i waited. its not a huge company from my understanding.
im sure you can get caltracs within a week if you order them.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Tyler, thanks so much for great details & detailed pics.

I'll need to check my dimensions off yours & compare. Where specifically was that 6.5" off ground measured at on frame? What's your overall truck drop, front & rear? Any idea on the weight of the Smith bars?
U have 2" lowering hangers, I have no drop hangers. Dropped my rear 4" thru the flattened leafs & it uses a dogbone to connect swaybar. Other than that, nothin is out of the ordinary.

Sorry for all the questions, just tryin to make as informed a decision as I can.

And most likely, whatever bars I go w/. are it. I highly, highly doubt I'm gonna go & try 1 brand, then try the other brand. So whatever I get, is it.

If this is how bars come finished, I'll likely want em p/c'd. I'll check w/. my powdercoater cause nickel may not cut it (& likely will need to be stripped to powdercoat). Then I'll have a better idea too.
The bottom of the frame rail that runs up to the front door.. its the most bottom part of the frame... so theoretically if Im thinkin right, just for instance your frame rail is the same height (6.5") as mine but with stock hangers, the heim end would be 2" lower and that should put you at 9" off the ground. That's still 2.5" above the frame rail and should not ever hit anything..

And just buy looking at them and comparing them to the caltracs I would assume they might be a few pounds heavier.. I dont have a scale.. A few pounds wouldnt hurt anything specially on the rear axle..
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nnbs u bolts are square on top. Just installed flip kit n i have like 3-4 inches of thread hangin out past the nut. 2wd BTW
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up with caltracs. Got them for $250 brand new from a local so i couldnt pass up the offer. Since installed wheel hop is completely gone. Hooks decent on the street nothing to brag about. But have yet to get a track pass, 4l80e stuck in limp mode still

Either one u choose i think they both are top notch!

Quick Reply: Caltracs or Smith Racecraft?