Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use Duralast Gold rotors & pads (ceramic), and it's less shudder & warpage while maintaining OEM performance. Bigger rotors gives more surface apply area, and theoretically, the opportunity for shorter stopping = better performance. Slotted rotors disperse heat better, thus preventing warpage.... not necessarily giving you shorter stopping potential.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11
SSBC and EBC both make good products from what i have seen, i would stick with oem pads and rotors inless you are going to go with bigger rotors and bigger and better calipers, like bear,wilwood,ssbc. just my opinion.
Im on my second set of OEM rotors, warranty, took raising hell to get dealer to replace them at 18K after they turned the first set and still warped. Im going aftermarket or upgrade when I need replacements.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
I am sure there is probably another thread somewhere else but i couldn't find it.
I currently have ssbc slotted rotors and EBC GREEN STUFF pads. I need to have my rotors turned but i want to replace my pads too. I am not happy with the green stuff pads . Even with the rotors and ss brake lines it dosen't seem to stop as well as the oem stuff, and i have thought that since i put the new pads on (a few years ago). I was thinking about hawk Ceramic, LTS, HPS, or even OEM. there are times i just don't feel as i can stop. Any recommendations?
OEM ceramic pads...nuff said.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I don't understand why people stray away from OEM stuff only to find out that the OEM stuff was superior..... I can't think of anything you can buy for your truck that's aftermarket and superior in quality except for certain internal engine parts. Go OEM and you won't go wrong.
i tried a few different aftermarket brake setups...after tons of brake dust, and tons of rotor turning i went back to oem pads and rotors and im 1000% happy with my smoothe, quiet, dust free stops.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like most of the above have said, stick with the OEM pads for regular use, if you are towing, especially a heavy load, then use the Hawk Super Duty or equivalent. The latter will produce more brake dust and is harder to keep the wheels clean but they sure do stop. I use them on my Escalade ESV pulling a 7000 lb enclosed trailer and they stop better, by far than any other set up on stock rotors.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory rotors = My first set rusted apart at 11K, next set went maybe 20k until they started flaking apart. The factory pads are great though, very little dust, quiet, but not exactly a performance pad...if you want a performance pad, you'll have to deal with more dust, and possibly more noise.

Speaking of the factory pads, I've heard that GM is constantly changing suppliers to the lowest bidder, and your "AC Delco" pads could possibly be Raybestos, Bendix, whatever. Can anybody confirm this?