Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Better Shocks than Belltech SP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and I don't think it gives more travel, just has a different angle on it, someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they help make the shock more vertical, closer to stock. This change in geometry would also slightly increase the shock travel with the same amount of axle travel. But I'm not convinced that these would improve the situation.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I currently have Belltech Street Performance drop shocks all around with my 2/4 drop. The front feels good, soft and controlled. But the rear sucks ***. At highway speed the whole truck will shudder/oscillate after the rear goes over the bump. The shudder lasts for up to a second and shakes the whole truck. Feels fine otherwise.

Anyone had similar issues and know of a good shock to fix it? Thanks.

I did trim the front bumpstops as per my other thread about them. Softer in the front now, but a little wishy washy at speed. Not a big deal to me, it's a truck not a Porsche.

The rear is annoying though. I don't think it's a bumpstop issue, mine rides 1-1.5" from the rear bumpstops, but I was planning on cutting them down another 1/2" or so. I have read that Rancho shocks are okay. Perhaps adjustable ones are the way to go.
I'll tell u the same as TXglock, the QA1s are nice. But see my comment on harsh bumps down below.
The Belltech seemed OK at first, but as I only run QA1s in summer, I want a great 2/4 drop for winter use. Edelbrock IAS has a direct 2/4 drop shock, but some love em & some hate em. Same w/. Belltech S&P. I also considered Rancho adjustables, but they're more for stk. height or lifted. Maybe now Rancho has an offering for our drop.

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
... These shocks in the rear are really irritating.

Maybe it's the geometry, but there's gotta be some 4" rear drop guys who have a decent ride quality.
Se my comment above to u & below to smdusaf. I should mention I run stocks up front & have since buyin truck new, even tho I have some Belltech S&P I got when I got the rears (just never got around to installin em).

Honestly, I want some Bilsteins for winter to work w/. the 2/4 drop. Somewhere I have my dimensions when I did the drop, which is how I ordered the QA1s. Compressed, rebound & static.

I'll still get me some QA1s for the front next yr. I just haven't sprung for them yet. But they're on my list.

Don't think for a minute the QA1s are the ****, cause they are. I just never dicked w/. bumpstops or whether they hit or not. Maybe down the road, I will. But for now, I deal w/. how it is, even tho my brother pisses & moans when I hit a nasty bump, I know its' gonna hit hard.

Originally Posted by smdusaf
i have the hotchkis front springs and it handles like on rails till i hit a bump and my rearend bottoms out. i put air shocks on and those suck to, im in for the results
Ditto on the Hotchkis, but I've the whole setup. On nasty bumps I still feel it, even w/. QA1s, but I think it has more to do w/. leaf springs lack of deflection, that's why it handles like on rails, which is what I want. The blower added weight up front, so I lost some of that, but there are ways to get the "rails" feel back.

iamkeniff, what are skoalbandits high dollar shocks that came with his kit, that yours run better than? I always like to see people's shock experiences.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like my Rancho Adjustables especially when they're stiffened up. BUT, i have my shocks relocated behind the axle at 9* from vertical...

I suggest anyone with a dropped truck to take the time and find a way to improve the shock angle. Extending the top mount would be an easy and effective way to bring the angles back in check. Think about it, if your shocks are at 45*, then they are only seeing half the travel the suspension is. IIRC, my shock angles were in the high 30's when I had a 4" drop.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
I like my Rancho Adjustables especially when they're stiffened up. BUT, i have my shocks relocated behind the axle at 9* from vertical...

I suggest anyone with a dropped truck to take the time and find a way to improve the shock angle. Extending the top mount would be an easy and effective way to bring the angles back in check. Think about it, if your shocks are at 45*, then they are only seeing half the travel the suspension is. IIRC, my shock angles were in the high 30's when I had a 4" drop.
Justin, what is your current drop? Are u greater than 4" now?
Not sure what 1/2 the travel matters, but if it gives me my comfort back over the nasties, it might be worth it to talk to a fab guy next yr. by redoin an upper mount.
I've been thinkin I need some other things fabbed as well, maybe just do em all at once.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

6" drop, switched to a flip kit.