Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ATE Blue brake fluid and Big Brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATE Blue brake fluid and Big Brakes!!

I just ordered the Powerslot Big Brake upgrade and Hawk pads for the front and SSBC slotted rotors and pads for the rear. Im going to need to change out the fluid as well.
1. Where can I get the brake fluid?
2. How much do I need?
3. What is the process in doing this?
4. How difficult is it to swap out the rotors and pads?? I was trying to find JSmith's post and couldnt find it.
Some help would be much appreciated!!
My brakes are getting pretty bad and I figure with the 6.0 and STS I may need them more often than I do now!!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I ended up getting 2 liters of Motul RBF600 from Titan motorsports over here in Orlando. You can order the ATE Superblue from raceshopper.com, but it will take a few days to ship (I believe they are in Syracuse). Wildwood also makes a good fluid that might be stocked in a speed shop over there.
2. I'd get 2 liters, so you have some extra if something goes wrong bleeding them
3. & 4. Pads are simple (I did a how-to here), rotors are just removing the old and putting on the new in reverse, and bleeding the brakes is pretty easy if you've done it before and have an assistant to pump the pedal. I'm sure there are how-tos on the rotor swap and the bleeding somewhere, but don't know where.

I'm running slotted rotors and hawks -- you'll love it.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

When I did my 4 wheel brake upgrade (Brembo blanks, hawk hps pads, earls braided lines, ate super blue fluid) I got everything but the lines from strano parts. The job was fairly simple as Erik has stated. Just a word of caution on teh hawk pads though. After breakin you abs will hate them, the will squeel for a few more thousand miles and they dust like crazy which is not very desirable for polished wheels. Those suckers will stop though.

btw.. I got 2L of fluid and I used all of one and just a little of the other. It was nice bleeding with the blue fluid because you know beyond the shadow of a doubt when you are getting new fluid.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

I'd heard that about the Hawks, but mine don't dust at all

I got the squealing to go away with a hard stop (80 - 0 ;P)
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys have any tips on bleeding the system? My stuff hasnt come yet and Im kind of worried, since Im having surgery on the torn bicep this week and if they dont get here today I may have to wait quite some time to get this done. Im stockpiling a pretty big mass of parts in the garage. The wifes not too happy right now
Old 03-25-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

What I do when changing back fluid is suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir and refill it with the new fluid. Then bleed the brakes starting with the one the furthest from the master cylinder, until you get good, clean brake fluid. Repeat the process working your way forward with the rest of the wheels.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:39 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Originally Posted by BigKID
When I did my 4 wheel brake upgrade (Brembo blanks, hawk hps pads, earls braided lines, ate super blue fluid) I got everything but the lines from strano parts. The job was fairly simple as Erik has stated. Just a word of caution on teh hawk pads though. After breakin you abs will hate them, the will squeel for a few more thousand miles and they dust like crazy which is not very desirable for polished wheels. Those suckers will stop though.

btw.. I got 2L of fluid and I used all of one and just a little of the other. It was nice bleeding with the blue fluid because you know beyond the shadow of a doubt when you are getting new fluid.
Which Hawk pads did you get man? Looks like the regular ceramics are the low-dust variety, but the "SuperDuty" compound causes more dust.