Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Airbag setup for my Denali??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag setup for my Denali??

I figured for about $900 or so installed, I can get a nice 2" front 3" rear drop for my '02 Yukon Denali.

How much would a nice airbag setup cost? Is it worth the difference? How does the lowering work: meaning, where do you lower it to at the lowest or is it a constantly variable setting? What roughly would the cost be?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Weedo
I figured for about $900 or so installed,
Think Higher!!! $900 will get you a decent air management and compressor or $600 for the manual valves. $300 and some change for the rear bags and cups. You may have trouble getting the front bagged due to your AWD. Air Ride might make a Shockwave($800) for your application but I'm not sure. You could probably add another $400 or $500 for the install.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1sikryd
Think Higher!!! $900 will get you a decent air management and compressor or $600 for the manual valves. $300 and some change for the rear bags and cups. You may have trouble getting the front bagged due to your AWD. Air Ride might make a Shockwave($800) for your application but I'm not sure. You could probably add another $400 or $500 for the install.
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. I can get a 2/3 drop for $900 installed. Nice quality too.

Airbag is a different story. I was quoted "about $1500" over the phone but i'm not sure what that includes or what brand, etc...

So am I really looking at about $2500 installed? That $900 is starting to sound better...
Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Rearend Would Be Easy To Do Air Ride Technologies Makes A Bag That Will Bolt In To Rear Spring Cups............... Front End Is Where You Will Run Into Problems Unless You Wanna Tear The Whole Front End Out.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Teching In

$900 is still a little steep for a 2/3. For that much you should be able to get into a 3/5, either DJM or McGaughys. I didn't see a shockwave application for the Denali front end. That AWD screws the pooch for you if you wanna go air.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... your Denali is AWD. It would take alot of fabrication to be able to take out the front torsion bars, relocate the shocks and mount air bags to the arms.... Now since you have a drive axle going through your upper and lower control arms, you won't be able to get an airbag in that spot.

I have seen it done before, but lots of cutting and fabbing was involved, and the bags were mounted on top of the upper control arms, sorta like a shock hoop on a lifted 4x4 setup.

The rear is alot easier, but you wouldn't be able to come close to laying out, and then you need to fab a bar or bracket to re-center the axle after you drop it at ride height, since the axle will shift with a panhard bar style setup

as far as cost, look to spend at least 1200 in just air management and probably tripple that in labor on a 4x4
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1sikryd
$900 is still a little steep for a 2/3. For that much you should be able to get into a 3/5, either DJM or McGaughys. I didn't see a shockwave application for the Denali front end. That AWD screws the pooch for you if you wanna go air.
The McGuaghys is around $500, plus about $400 to install. With my setup they only have the 2/3 drop. I want it to look clean, no slammed on the ground anyway so that may be my best choice!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Weedo
The McGuaghys is around $500, plus about $400 to install. With my setup they only have the 2/3 drop. I want it to look clean, no slammed on the ground anyway so that may be my best choice!
I got my Belltech 2/3 for $100. It uses keys up front and springs out back. I got it put in for $65. The ride is good, except that I didnt replace the rear shocks and if I go over some of the shitty train tracks over 40 it bottoms out. Im going to buy the spindles b/c I want the front 1" lower than it is currently. If I use the 2" spindles and crank up the keys 1" that will put me at a 3/3 but I think it will look a little bit better with the little rake.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I got my Belltech 2/3 for $100. It uses keys up front and springs out back. I got it put in for $65. The ride is good, except that I didnt replace the rear shocks and if I go over some of the shitty train tracks over 40 it bottoms out. Im going to buy the spindles b/c I want the front 1" lower than it is currently. If I use the 2" spindles and crank up the keys 1" that will put me at a 3/3 but I think it will look a little bit better with the little rake.
I think for $900 +/- installed the McGaughys kit is well worth it, and has come highly recommended. Dont' get me wrong, I'd love to drop around $200! But for the difference you get an exact factory ride (spindles, etc) but with a better look/ride height.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

a quality bag job will run $3000-4000 for a truck like mine.

Quick Reply: Airbag setup for my Denali??