PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Advice on hardened/billet output shaft? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/advice-hardened-billet-output-shaft-483483/)

SlowTruk 06-02-2011 08:27 PM

Advice on hardened/billet output shaft?

Hey guys, I have just about all I need to rebuild my 4l60e to hold some power, heres everything I have so far:

258mm multi disk billet 3800 circle d converter
Vacuum Modulator
Reverse Input Drum
Pro Street or Strip only 3/4 clutch pack
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Bushing Kit
Beast Sunshell
Carbon Fiber 2/4 band

Still need the Alto clutch kit and some fittings/hose to run from trans straight to trucool 40K and then back to trans to bypass rad.

Now that you know all that (JFYI) I need to find/price an output shaft since I'm 4wd. PATC's website is hard as hell to navigate.

Anyone have any idea where its best to find a hardened output shaft and prices? Thank you in advance for any help.:cool:

SlowTruk 06-03-2011 02:34 PM

bump...any advice on where to buy or best price for hardened input/output shafts?

Edit...just calle PATC transmissions and the hardened input shaft cms as a kit including the smart sheel (but I already have the beast sunshell) and some other things...$429...an the hardened output shaft is freaking $539!!!!!!!

Thats way higher than I anticipated

Vince B 06-03-2011 10:07 PM

Shoot me a pm to the link for that package so I can look at it for you. Vince

budhayes3 06-04-2011 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTruk (Post 4711757)
bump...any advice on where to buy or best price for hardened input/output shafts?

Edit...just calle PATC transmissions and the hardened input shaft cms as a kit including the smart sheel (but I already have the beast sunshell) and some other things...$429...an the hardened output shaft is freaking $539!!!!!!!

Thats way higher than I anticipated

Wow, that's almost billet shaft prices...I think that for an extra $100 or so you could go the billet route, which is highly recommended (especially by those who have shattered their stock or hardened shafts to bits)

fastrt 06-04-2011 12:38 AM

ckperformance has billet output shafts for around $450

AKlowriderZ71 06-04-2011 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by budhayes3 (Post 4711999)
Wow, that's almost billet shaft prices...I think that for an extra $100 or so you could go the billet route, which is highly recommended (especially by those who have shattered their stock or hardened shafts to bits)

+1

You're 4x4, so you're heavy. Plus you want to make some big power in the future. Spend the dough now & get billet shafts, or spend alot more later, and still end up buying the billet shafts. Ask me how I know.

budhayes3 06-04-2011 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 4712001)
+1

You're 4x4, so you're heavy. Plus you want to make some big power in the future. Spend the dough now & get billet shafts, or spend alot more later, and still end up buying the billet shafts. Ask me how I know.

I remember seeing pics of how you know :nod:

Vince B 06-04-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by budhayes3 (Post 4712003)
I remember seeing pics of how you know :nod:

I've got pictures like that burned into my brain! I can not tell you how many I've seen and in a 4wd application it just makes sense. :cheers:

SlowTruk 06-04-2011 11:03 PM

Thanks for the input all of you. I will look into ck's output shafts for sure, that price sounds more reasonable. I guess I'll go billet after all. I also sent TCI an email asking how much they charge for billet input/output shafts.

Hey Vince, I never got a link to that kit, just had to call them Cause their website is so damned scattered out.

So its pretty obvious that i NEED a billet output shaft. Do you guys recommend a billet input shaft as well? Do i need it?

silver-mod-o 06-04-2011 11:13 PM

With a setup like yours I wouldn't think a billet input would be necessary. If you want the extra insurance under WOT lockup then yeah, but not 100% needed.

Vince B 06-04-2011 11:59 PM

I think that its a good idea if you are making real good power and locking the converter at WOT. Lets say 600+rwhp. The output shaft is a must at that hp. Look at it this way. If you break an output you loose most of the trans from the input planet to the case! I have seen holes the size of a soft ball out the back of the case. If an input breaks it just takes the shaft and the pump stator! Not as major as the output if you see my point here. Then again at 600+rwhp an 80e is a much better option IMO for the money your going to spend. However I have built plenty of 60E units that exceed what I mentioned above and it seems to me that you can get the hard parts to last when built correctly. The main issue comes down to keeping a 3-4 clutch in the unit. Like anything else it becomes service item. Good luck with your build. Vince

AKlowriderZ71 06-05-2011 01:40 AM

I'm not sure 600 is the number Vince. My truck just dyno'd at 425 hp today(DynoJet).

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...carnage001.jpg

Vince B 06-05-2011 08:00 AM

LOL yes I agree. I should have made my post a little clearer in my first sentence answering the question from the previous post! It was getting late last night! I think at 400-450 rwhp in a truck you do run the risk of breaking an output. At 600 and locking the tcc while in 3rd gear, the input it is a must IMO. I have seen them break at lesser hp however if the tcc is applied and a shift occurs, its easy to do. I hope that clears it up some. Vince

SlowTruk 06-07-2011 12:34 PM

Well guys I just spoke to TCI-the man said "sir I don't have anything as far as billet or hardened output shafts-matter of fact I don't carry output shafts period. What you need is a 5 pinion planetary set. (got that already)....

Are there any more companies other than PATC and 700r4l60e.com and TCI?

06sierra5.3 06-07-2011 03:06 PM

edit: i dont think Im supposed to post non sponsor stuff. I'l send you a PM

SlowTruk 06-07-2011 04:27 PM

Thanks very much for the pm.

budhayes3 06-07-2011 04:55 PM

Since I'm a pic whore, I figured that I'd share some pics of my billet shafts in my 65E that Vince built when he was with FLT...I feel very confident that I'll be OK with them, even with my future 6.0 plans :cool:

Billet input shaft
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3/100_0574.jpg

Billet output shaft (I'm 4x4, hence no tailshaft housing ;) )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...3/100_0575.jpg

Here's the thread from when I installed the trans:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...level7+finally

Vince B 06-07-2011 05:50 PM

<....is sporting a chubby!:cool:

silver-mod-o 06-07-2011 06:14 PM

I wish my shaft was billet and splined for her pleasure too :D

Vince B 06-07-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o (Post 4713746)
I wish my shaft was billet and splined for her pleasure too :D

And polished! Is it wrong that I polished Billy's shaft?:hump:

Originally Posted by budhayes3 (Post 4713708)