Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

A4 to A3 Swap guys in here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can hopefully answer some of your install questions. I am in the middle of putting mine together right now. Here are the parts that I am using:

TCI flexplate
Rossler th400 w/transbrake and VSS installed
Precision 3200 stall made for the conversion
B&M Pro Ratchet shifter
Speed Engineering 4l80e crossmember
Driveshaft shortened by local shop
Autometer Pro shift light
B&M supercooler
Lokar dipstick tube
14 quarts mobil 1 ATF
miscellanious electrical wiring and connectors
B&M transbrake button

LS1-edit for the computer stuff.

First off I removed the old tranny, self explanitory removal.
I bolted up the new TCI flexplate using ARP flexplate bolts. I used some thread lock and torqued them down, easy.
I set the converter up against the flexplate just to make sure the snout goes into the crank the way it should.....all good.
I put a quart of tranny fluid in the converter and installed it into the trans. I Kept spinning and pressing the converter into the trans until it is completely locked into the trans.
I jacked the trans up and bolted it to the motor and everything was flush, no spacer needed.
I removed all the old tranny cooler lines and pluged the holes in the radiator.
I ran new Aeroquip -6an socketless hose up to the front so I could mount the new cooler. I just bought 20ft of the hose and 4 90 degree -6an to socketless fittings and 2 1/2 to -6an fittings. Worked like a champ.

Everything has bolted together perfect so far, I am still waiting on my crossmember. You could easily bring your own crossmember somewhere and get a 4 inch plate welded to the back of it and you would be good to go but I have already ordered the crossmember. I am bringing my driveshaft in to be done monday. I am going to be working on mounting the shifter and shift light monday also. By tuesday I should be on the road.

I will right up the rest on monday if you are still interested in the swap, Its really not that hard. I have spent about 3500 on parts but you could easily get under that.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Whore

awesome setup!

i was mainly worried about the crossmember and driveshaft. So the 4l80e just bolts up with a Th400? Would it work the same for a TH350?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the th350 can use the stock crossmember without modification. I checked my measurements compared to the TCI faq sheet and they are dead on, so you could use that as a refrance.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quick have you seen 550rwhp in a 4500lb truck with a 4l60e/65e? Im not doubting im asking cause I have yet to see someone attempt this.

The closest ive seen is the wood hauler. He is a 408 with vic jr n/a. He should be close to 500. But he has yet to have his truck hook, or even put the slicks on it with the newly built 65e, same one im running, and run it at the track.

Ive seen cars run more but they wiegh less.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
Quick have you seen 550rwhp in a 4500lb truck with a 4l60e/65e? Im not doubting im asking cause I have yet to see someone attempt this.

The closest ive seen is the wood hauler. He is a 408 with vic jr n/a. He should be close to 500. But he has yet to have his truck hook, or even put the slicks on it with the newly built 65e, same one im running, and run it at the track.

Ive seen cars run more but they wiegh less.
how about in a Ecsb with boost? trans was a stock 65 with a shift kit and verter......i know woodhauler's setup and he without more airflow, cam and CR isnt going to hit that mark
Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people have good luck with the 4l60e and some don't, I went through 3 of them and decided to go th400. I could have bought a Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion kit w/FLT 4l80e but I would not have had a transbrake and it would have been at least 1000 dollars more than what I have spent already. I think the question was how to do the conversion, not why he should or should not do it.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM
In the 12's??????

Ive been waiting for someone to post up about this swap, Im wanting to do it myself, Im tired of eating trannys, and today my 60e is again....the 4th time!! Now I can only drive around in 3 no D! only a matter of time before the whole thing
Its not a daily so no overdrive needed IMHO.
I got a quote from a shop and they do it to f bodys all the time, they quoted me $2800 for the whole swap with a RMVB that is good to 900hp.
Im going to go take a visit to his shop soon to check things out, and talk things over.
My question if anyone can answer is, will the odometer still work?
its controled by computer, not the 60e right??
Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4l80 swap cost about 1500 dollars. That includes the tq converter which I bought used.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Whore

Originally Posted by jasond26
. I think the question was how to do the conversion, not why he should or should not do it.
Thanks.

Do u know how much you had to cut the driveshaft? I found a TH400 locally, hopefully I can pick it up today. Its fully built with RMVB and transbrake.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the truck is back on the road.......one word....AWESOME! I feel like I am driving a drag car. It shifts firm but not jarring. When you are on it and start hammering gears it feels badass. Not to bad cruising around at 60, I wouldn't want to go any faster than that for long periods of time though. I just got done with it so I will get some more driving time with it tomorrow.

When I measured the driveshaft it was 59 inches exactly from the face of the trans to the face of the yolk in the vertical position. It came out perfect.

Quick Reply: A4 to A3 Swap guys in here!