Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

89 C1500 lowering suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 C1500 lowering suspension help

Winter plans are to drop my 89 C1500 Stepside with either a 5/7 or 5/8 drop. Planning on going all poly bushings. Gonna go with 20's with as wide as I can go in the rear for what I call the Euro look.
My question is this. What all can I do to make this thing handle like a sports car?
What size anti roll bars and so on?
Any advice and help will be appreciated.

What's the best shocks for this as well that will also give a decent ride?

Also are there any aftermarket brake up grades for front and rear?
I'd like to go with disc on the rear if I can find them.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I have a feeling you will struggle to make it handle great and ride "decent" when you have it slammed so far down. Combine that with rubber band tires that won't flex much because they have to fit the wheel wells and they won't ride nice because the tire sidewall is so thin.

Less of the drop with better tires should make help the suspension work better and ride better because it's not dropped so far.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 89 Sportside I installed a Suburban front and rear sway bar, 5-8 drop with Bilstein shocks, Moog Rubber bushings, poly end links, Torq Thrust 20"x 8 and 20"x 12" , 9" ford 4.10's, Wilwoods on all 4 corners and It was a ******* Drifting Machine before Drifting was ever a thing! Wish I still had it cause It would probably have this 6.2 6L80 takeout in it right now.

RT
Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Softail
On my 89 Sportside I installed a Suburban front and rear sway bar, 5-8 drop with Bilstein shocks, Moog Rubber bushings, poly end links, Torq Thrust 20"x 8 and 20"x 12" , 9" ford 4.10's, Wilwoods on all 4 corners and It was a ******* Drifting Machine before Drifting was ever a thing! Wish I still had it cause It would probably have this 6.2 6L80 takeout in it right now.

RT
07Softail, Thanks for the help. This is what I'm looking for. Do you know how much backspacing you had in the rear? I want a much wider wheel if I can get it. I LOVE that look.

As far as the ride you can't get much worse than it is now. I just thought some shocks might help better than others.