Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80E wiring swap using the relay setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With EFILive segments swaps are as easy as opening both files at once and clicking a button or two to swap segments between the two very simple. However, as far as I know, EFILive is not capable of preventing the TCC from unlocking at light throttle like HPT can. They may or maybe not enable this feature in the future, I hope they do!

As for the relay mod, there is a guy on here that sells the directions for like $20, it's pretty easy to do. However, I'd try the 80E segment first to see how you like if. If you don't then do the relay mod and go back to the 60E segment. This is my plan when I do the 80E swap here in a couple weeks.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fellas I wanted to do the 80E swap years back so I paid the boneshiner $20 (non vendor total violation of tech & PT rules and regs)

Here is what he sent me.
Attached Thumbnails 80E wiring swap using the relay setup-60e_80e_swap_wiring.jpg   80E wiring swap using the relay setup-60e_80e_swap_wiring2.jpg  

Last edited by SYRacing; 01-22-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added 2nd method
Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I used the 60E tune by using the relay wired into stock harness but didn't pay the 20 bucks just followed the instruction I found on this site. Works perfectly I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

ive been looking how to run my 4l80, im going to be doing HPT rather just have it all done through the computer

what is the advantage/dis advantage of having it unlock under 5% throttle?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The advantage of keeping it locked while cruising is sanity !

With a performance converter with multidisc lockup clutch it's very annoying to feel the lock /unlock constantly while cruising at speed for a continuous amount of time . EX: your cruising 55 , converter locked , then you let off the throttle , converter unlocks , then you throttle up again to maintain 55 , converter locks , then you let off again , converter unlocks .

So you see how annoying this feels ? Especially with a beefy locking converter , leaving it able to not unlock while in and out of small throttle applications just feels so much nicer . Hope you get the idea thru this explanation
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

I used a relay initially on my 95 and it did work but was not as desirable. Once I was directed to the right tables I simply copied the 4L80E tune shift solenoid state table, gear ratio table, and line pressure tables into my 4L60E based tune and it was all good. My 3-2 downshift was always pretty hesitant with the relay but once I got the tune modified out it felt like it ought to. We are talking OBD1 tuning with tunerproRT though.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TIM Z

With a performance converter with multidisc lockup clutch it's very annoying to feel the lock /unlock constantly while cruising at speed for a continuous amount of time . EX: your cruising 55 , converter locked , then you let off the throttle , converter unlocks , then you throttle up again to maintain 55 , converter locks , then you let off again , converter unlocks .

So you see how annoying this feels ? Especially with a beefy locking converter , leaving it able to not unlock while in and out of small throttle applications just feels so much nicer . Hope you get the idea thru this explanation
right on point there!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TIM Z

I read somewhere that Hptuners has updated 80e segment swap to keep it locked while cruising. Any truth to that?

If yes, can anyone with hptuners perform this updated segment swap? Including mail order tuners?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SYRacing
fellas I wanted to do the 80E swap years back so I paid the boneshiner $20 (non vendor total violation of tech & PT rules and regs)

Here is what he sent me.
are these pics blocked ?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

i ended up buying the harness from tuned by frost works awesome so far

Quick Reply: 80E wiring swap using the relay setup