Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e swapped now problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80e swapped now problems

I finished my 60e to 80e swap but now I have some problems maybe you guys can help me with. It shifts smooth and all gears seem to work normal. Here are my problems I noticed during my one short drive..
1. P1810 code comes on even after being cleared.
2. The torque converter would try to lock for a split second then unlock.
3. The 3600 stall is acting more like a 2500 stall.
4. If I hold the brake and give it gas it sounds like the converter disc or something is slipping or dragging. Also I cannot get they rear tires to spin while doing this.
5. There is a whining noise when taking off.
6. There is a whistling noise when truck is stopped and in gear, maybe it was in park I don't remember.

I have hptuners but I'm new to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did the segment swap myself but i don't think that's the problem.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

did you rewire your transmission plug for the 4L80?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ToBiN!
did you rewire your transmission plug for the 4L80?
Yes and added the vss wires.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Also when I took the pan off to do the hd2 kit I noticed someone punched a hole in the pan to drain it at some point but they also punched right through the filter and busted the plastic pickup tube into pieces.. Maybe some plastic pieces got sucked into the pump and it is being restricted? I bought the 80e used but i no longer trust anything the seller told me about it.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Hole in the pan just to drain fluid sounds like a Junkyard deal. We bought a 4L60 for my son's chevelle and the similar issue. don't trust those rubber pan plugs they put in. they will fail and drop all your fluid.
Probably a good thing you dropped the pan and found that stuff. Just hope its not too late. Put on a new pan, one preferably with a drain already installed.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

I recorded some of the sounds it is making but I cant get it to load on here. In RD21 it makes a whistling noise almost identical to what some prochargers sound like. I drove it again today and noticed when I put it in D1 or D2 it doesn't hold that gear. I thought with the hd2 kit you are suppose to be able to hold it in any gear without it automatically changing?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a clip I put on YouTube

Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a transmission oil pressure gauge on the drivers side port, right behind the prdnl selector switch... You need to know what your pressures are doing, or else you would be guessing forever and going in circles pulling your hair out.

if it's slipping in gear, I'd make sure your pressures are correct in every gear. Also make sure that the transmission is in the gear that you "think" it's in and also the same gear that shows on the dash and the same gear the PCM/tcm thinks it's in... That selector switch has to be clocked just right and the cable has to be adjusted close to perfect to get all gears correct when doing the swap. Make sure that the truck Starts in park and in neutral.

next thing to check is to make sure your converter spacing is correct. You might need to add washers to get the oil holes to line up for the oil feed to the converter.. It sounds to me like you might have an oiling issue if those noises are coming from the Trans. 4l80e's are known to have the tcc drag slightly at idle due to low return line pressure. Sometimes can be due to wrong fittings used, worn out case, wrong cooler line size or clogged cooler.

If if you can't install a gauge on your return cooler line to compare check your converter for excessive hear at idle after a short drive.. If it's real hot, chances are the clutch is dragging.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I also just read that you bought the transmission used from an I trusted source.. If it were me, the instance you noticed something mechanical or visual that is not right with the transmission, it's time to pull it out and open it up.

If if you run it with a filter that's damaged in any way, for anything more than a very short time, the chances are very slim that you DON'T severely mess up the transmission and cause mega issues..

IMO, Pull it out and rebuilt it. Do it right the first time. Pulling the transmission in and out gets real old real quick.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 AM
Staging Lane

I will be taking it in to check line pressure and diagnostics. I tried a different 80e segment swap and I no longer have the p1810 code but my problems are still there. I also noticed that the fluid is already nearly black with less than 10 miles on it. I also found out the seller lied to me and the transmission is from the local junkyard. I will be tearing it apart after my visit to the transmission shop.

Quick Reply: 80e swapped now problems