Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

6L80 aftermarket stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 6L80 aftermarket stall

Anyone done one?

Which one did you go with?

What do you like or dislike?

I may have to replace mine and want to avoid any headaches or regrets.

I'm fine with the things that come along with a stall, had them before, want to avoid wasting money or stalls failing etc.

I'm considering Circle D or Yank at this point.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

i had a Precision industries vigilante in a prior truck & loved it.
was triple lockup & 2600stall

still running strong w/ guy i sold it to.
think its got 60k on it now mileage wise

all 3 brands seem to have good praise
Old 10-01-2020, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I’ve had 3 CircleD converters. No issues with any of them.

I had 1 FTI converter in my 60e. It was ok. It was a 3800HH and came on strong.

My current one is a PATC 2k triple disc tow converter. Bitch is tight. Great for towing and I’ve had no issues with it.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

The issue I'm having is the 6L80 and how the torque converter lockup technology is with them. They run in lockup 99% of the time and allow it to slip a small amount and it's burning up converters that take out the trans.

I've had great luck with Yank in the past with my 4L60's but they have a totally different lockup program
Old 10-01-2020, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Seeing all these stories about the 6L80's slipping and shuddering makes me really not want to hammer on mine ever again... for like 10 seconds.

Give Chris at Circle D a call and see what he thinks. If I ever decide to do one, that will be the route I go.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tjmath
Seeing all these stories about the 6L80's slipping and shuddering makes me really not want to hammer on mine ever again... for like 10 seconds.

Give Chris at Circle D a call and see what he thinks. If I ever decide to do one, that will be the route I go.
Actually called Circle D this morning but the guy I got ahold of said he was in the converter side of the business and the trans side has a different phone number so they are my next call.

I just got off the phone with the best and most honest trans guy I have ever known (i've been in auto repair/management for 20+ years so I've dealt with a lot of trans guys) and he said what actually happens is since it runs in lockup so much it's wearing out the lockup clutch and it goes metal to metal and puts metal through the trans and the solenoids, pump surfaces etc wont tolerate any trash at all even the smallest amount so basically right around 100k the clutch wears out and immediately takes the trans with it

He said his plan is to replace his torque converter every 40k miles, he has a new truck with a 6L80
Old 10-01-2020, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

So what you are saying is it's GM's fault the converter went out in my wife's truck and not mine? That's the story I'm telling haha.

You think about it, a lock up clutch in a converter is just like a manual transmission clutch and those do wear out over time from slipping and age so not entirely surprised by what you were told.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
So what you are saying is it's GM's fault the converter went out in my wife's truck and not mine? That's the story I'm telling haha.

You think about it, a lock up clutch in a converter is just like a manual transmission clutch and those do wear out over time from slipping and age so not entirely surprised by what you were told.

Exactly right actually

Same applies to clutches in the transmission. I've had many 4L60e transmissions, 2 of them lasted 190k miles of hard abuse where several of my friends had them go out as low as 30 - 50k miles, some of them repeatedly in that range. They all babied theirs, I drove that absolute snot out of mine. I had a hunch and my trans guy confirmed it. He said you driving yours hard raised line pressure and shift firmness which slips the clutches less, on a 4L60 if you baby it it slips the clutches on engagement and wears them out.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a thread in the K2 section where I posted some info I got on LS1tech (sorry when I'm searching for info I kinda spazz out and go to extreme lengths to get the most info so I have several threads and phone calls out on this lol) but anyway I posted the info in the K2 section where maroonmonster posted about the stock lockup strategy and how to tune it to fix the issue.

Talked to my tuner and he said "yep I can do that"

**** me if I had known all this before I could have done that a long time ago and saved this thing.

I'm still on the fence about trying a fluid change, from the info I've gotten so far once it starts to act up it's already way too late. Fack.
The following users liked this post:
gat0r (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

That’s true to. Once they slip they are toast. Fresh fluid only exacerbates it. The grit in the old fluid helps keep things together. Learned that lesson the hard way. Wish I had known about this also. Could have saved mine to. Oh well. At least when I buy my next one I’ll know what to do.

Quick Reply: 6L80 aftermarket stall